This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error - KDE su

I have been using Linux for a few years now and Kubuntu for about 6 months now. Ran into a odd problem. If goto the System Settings and goto the Display properties and try enter Administrator Mode I get the following error: Su returned with an error. I can still manage things from the command line, so it's not the end of the world. But I would like to get it straightened out, sometimes I am just lazy. I have searched these forums a bit and googled the problem without finding a solution that works. Thanks in advance for the help.

Re: Error - KDE su

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

Comment

I don''t think that link helps as his problem is with Administrator mode in kcontrol/System Settings, and his commands work from Konsole

I see a few instances of your problem in my searches but no bug reports or resolutions

I had this happen to me only once, but it was directly after an update so a logout or reboot (can't remember which I did) fixed that

If you are running Dapper and have not done so, I would suggest upgrading to KDE 3.5.5
      http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde-355.php

Comment

I checked and I am allready running kde 3.5.5. So I am at a bit of a loss, I have rebooted a few times since the problem popped up. I run a dual boot with Xp pro just so I can play games, so I end up rebooting at least once a day. I will let you know if I figure this out.

Comment

Well I managed to figure it out. Wow it was something I never would have guessed. I tried using sudo from the command line and got the following error...

sudo: unable to lookup rob-desktop.house.local via gethostbyname()

Then I remembered I had changed my hostname recently when I was messing around with setting up a local dns server. I checked my /etc/hosts file and I did not have 127.0.0.1 rob-desktop.house.local in there. Glad I was able to get this straightened out it was starting to bug me hehe. Thanks for the help all.

Comment

That might help someone else in the future, thank you for telling us how you fixed your problem!

Comment

Not a problem, hopefully it will help someone out. Now I just have to figure out why the screensaver doesnt start. It's been like that for awhile, time to figure it out.

Comment

I will look but that sounds like a known bug, I think I saw that on a mailing list, but I didn't follow it as mine are working

Comment

Working...
                X