This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SAMBA server

Hi, i tried to set up Samba, i followed this guide that was on the Ubuntu forums i think, anyway, i still dont quite know how to succesfully share a partition on the linux computer, the partition is NTFS, i cant format coz there is too  much stuff on the drive to backup, anyway, my windows systems can see the linux computer, but when i open it up, and go to "my files", i get an error message saying that its  not accesible and check if i have the right permissions etc..., then says something like, the group name cannot be found.

I managed to add another folder by editing the smb.conf , but when i try accessing that, i type in my user and password, but it says the user is logged in or i cant access from multiple locations which i were not.

I have been trying for aaaaggesss and have not been succesfull in getting it to work yet, help would greatly be apreciated.

Thanks
        Willz

Re: SAMBA server

Here, follow what I did. It's related. Posted at:
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=11431.0
    It should solve your problem.

Comment

Ok, thanks, looks like there is some hope

Although i ran into a problem allready, with the version of Kubuntu i am on, dapper drake, there is no right click on drives, you go into system settings then click on sharing, anyway i did that, logged in to administrator mode, then tried to add Hda1 (SME EX Srv) Partition, and it wouldent let me, everything was just grayed out there, also, if i clicked on a folder then prssed ok in there, it did not get added to share folder, or once i got an error like, can only share local folders, although that wasent the exact error message, i cant remember what it exatly was.

Also in permissions on the drive, it is set so that groups can access it.

Also, i try to edit that fstab file, and i press esc, then press wq and then enter, it dont exit vi, i dont even know if it saves it, i restart the computer and open the file to check, its exatly the same as before i ever opened it, so whats gone wrong there?

Comment

Vi is is a powerful command line text editor - but it's not very intuitive. Try kate if you are working in the desktop mode
        Code:
        kdesu kate /etc/fstab
        You can share anything you want in your home folder - so I cheat and put everything there. :-)

I used this howto:
        http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ighlight=samba

I was never able to get samba to work with Windows until I gave each machine a static IP address.

The *first* time I used Samba the iptables firewall wouldn't let the Windows machine reach my files. I had to use Firestarter and create a policy to allow the Windows machine

Comment

Ok, thanks for the help guys, i got soo annoyed last night, i needed most of my files on there, and i needed them right then, so i did the easiest thing i could think so, deleted Kubuntu and install Windows Server 2003 onto my server, i am planning on Installing Kubuntu onto my Main rig though and using it most of the time, dunno when though, stuff is preety busy at the moment, but i cant live with windows forever

Comment

Working...
          X