This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NVidia driver + DVI + xine = strange video play

I am having a strange problem with the nvidia driver, a dvi lcd monitor and xine.
    The video hardware is an MSI GFX 5700 LE-TD with 128 mb connected via DVI to a ViewSonix VX924

After installing kubuntu 6.06.1 I installed the following via adept:
    - linux-image-2.6.15-27-686 (replaced the 386 version)
    - linux-restricted-modules-2.6.15-27-686
    - nvidia-glx (1.0.8776)
    - libxine-extracodecs
    - xine-ui

I tried playing an avi file (RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI, 640 x 368, 23.98 fps, video: DivX 5, audio: Dolby AC3 (6 channels, 48000 Hz)). All other video files (mpg, wmv, etc) have the same result.

Xine starts as normal with a rectangular window. From this point on the strange behaviour starts.
    The window resizes to one half the width of the screen and the height of the screen (from the top of the monitor to the top of the panel at the bottom).
    The video is stretched to fit the window height but is right cropped to fit in the middle third of the window.
    The audio plays as normal.

After installing the latest nvidia driver (1.0.9629), after removing the old one via adept, the video played ok. However, when I reboot the strange behaviour returns.

xine plays as expected using the analog plug (ie. no stretching and resizes ok to full screen).
    I really want to use the DVI output since it is much better than the analog.

Anyone have any suggestions about how to fix this?

Tom

Re: NVidia driver + DVI + xine = strange video play

I have discovered why installing the latest nvidia driver 'fixed' the problem. It is not the new driver but starting x (startx) from a console that seems to 'fix' it. I logout from the kde desktop, choose 'Console logon' from the logon screen and logon as my normal user. I enter 'startx' and when kde finishes loading, xine works as expected.

I have used Kubuntu for a couple of months now. Shortly afer installing 6.06.1, I reinstalled 6.1. Under edgy xine work fine. However, other problems related to X ('out of range' messages on my monitor which forced a hard reboot, among the most annoying) prompted me to go back to dapper. It was only with the re-install of dapper that I have encountered this problem.

The only error I am getting in the x server log is this:
    information, error opening security policy file etc/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy

Comment

Re: NVidia driver + DVI + xine = strange video play

Searching for 'nvidia xine' I found this post:
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=8677.0
      In summary:
      Adding
      Option "UseEdidDpi" "FALSE"
      Option "DPI" "96 x 96"
      to the 'Device' section of your video card solves the problem.
      I changed my xorg.conf, reset X (ctrl, alt, backspace) and xine now operates ok. Just to be sure I rebooted and logged in normally (i.e. not doing a console logon and startx). Xine worked fine. Well, kubuntu 6.1 is called 'edgy' for a reason, I suppose.

Comment

Working...
      X