This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NTFS Partition

I can't mount or read my NTFS partition as a normal user. I used to be able to do this but now it's all screwed up. I'm not sure when it happened because I hardly use that partition anymore. Just this morning I went to look at what was in there and I got permissions errors. I tried to unmount it but it said that only root could perform this operation. I then unmounted as root and remount as a normal user and couldn't mount. I mount as root and only root has permissions on the content. What am I doing wrong?

Re: NTFS Partition

Hello
    I am new in Linux, so Im sorry if this doesn't help you ^_^

May be your /etc/fstab looks like this....

Code:
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # <file system> <mount point>  <type> <options>    <dump> <pass>
    proc      /proc      proc  defaults    0    0
    /dev/hda10   /        ext3  defaults,errors=remount-ro 0    1
    /dev/hda9    /download    ext3  defaults    0    2
    /dev/hda7    /home      ext3  defaults    0    2
    #/dev/hda1    /media/hda1   ntfs  defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0    1
    #/dev/hda5    /media/hda5   ntfs  defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0    1
    /dev/hda1    /windows/c   ntfs  defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0    1
    /dev/hda5    /windows/d   ntfs  defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0    1
    /dev/hda8    /music     ext3  defaults    0    2
    /dev/hda6    none      swap  sw       0    0
    /dev/hdb    /media/cdrom0  udf,iso9660 user,noauto   0    0
    Edit " /dev/hdax " section, so u can mount it as a normal user..
    CMIIW

Comment

It's not a real good idea to write to NTFS drives from Linux. There is this driver thingie you can install but it's sort of beta.

You'd be a lot better off writing to a fat 32 partition. Maybe on a USB drive? Then copy to Windows.

Comment

Cliff76,

hopefully this page will provide a point where you may start from ... otherwise, please let me / us now, how you tried to mount your NTFS partition (full command as well as fstab entry) - because the more precise your problem gets defined, the more accurate the solution will be

HTH
        Birdy

--

Postscript: reference updated

Comment

Hi I am a total newbie to linux so be patient with me. I am still fidling with linux on a dual boot system before I make the full plunge to switch completely. So although in Ubuntu 6.06 I could see like a charm my ntfs xp partition when I upgraded to 6.10 I couldn't did steps in help unmarked some entries in fstab and created a mount point as root. After reboot still didn't work.Then switched user interface from gnome to kde (kubuntu). Tried to unmount as user and with sudo got back reply that unmount command does not exist. Tried to activate it from system properties advanced disk partition nothing. So I am stuck. Plus cannot delete mountpoint. Also tried to mount it in another mount point with no luck. I need only read access to ntfs I know that write access can be dangerous as drivers are not mature yet. Thanks for the help. Also Ubuntu help files pointed to a place I couldn't find with gnome desktop but found with kde Thanks

Comment

Assuming you installed Windows first, so that your NTFS partition is /dev/hda1...

/etc/fstab:
            /dev/hda1 /windows/c ntfs ro,nls=utf8,umask=007,user,gid=users 0 0

then, to read your linux stuff in Windows *IF* you have your linux mounts as ext2 or ext3 (don't know of a fix for reiserfs) - http://www.fs-driver.org/

This way, you don't have any of the fat32 limitations, and you don't have to pre-copy data from linux to windows or vice-versa.

Comment

The command is "umount" not "unmount". No "N"
              ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Working...
              X