This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD playback with blue screen?

OK so i installed kubuntu and it is the best thing i have every used. I'm running it on a IBM thinkpad 600E and i got every thing to work(even the sound.), i got DVD playback to work in kaffeine. When i play a movie i get sound but a blue screen no video. I don't know if its a software problem or a hardware problem. can some one please help me with this problem.But remember I'm a complete noobie to linux.

Thanks
    ~Jonathan

Re: DVD playback with blue screen?

Sorry for the delayed response. Please read this HowTo (at the Ubuntu Community Help site). I suspect that you will have to add some repositories. If that is the case, go to Source-O-Matic for a new /etc/apt/sources.list file.

Comment

I have the same problem whuile playing a DVD on kubuntu (edgy). I hear the sound but see only a blue screen. I have followed all the steps as mentioned in "https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...s/PlayingDVDs", the region is set to 2 (europe) but still nothing but a blue screen.
      I have Kubuntu Edgy running on a Dell Dimension 2400 with a CD-writer (which also reads DVD's) and a DVD-writer. Has anyone got an idea how to solve this problem?

thanks,

Dick

Comment

I would suggest trying ogle instead of kaffeine.

sudo apt-get install ogle ogle-gui

Ogle is installed along with the GUI and all necessary libraries. Ogle is placed in the KDE multimedia menu.

Ogle supports DVD menus too. You can click on them in the movie window with the mouse.

Hope this helps.

psb154

Comment

After installing Ogle I tried playing a DVD with it but nothing happend. Not even a blue screen. So I ran it in a terminal and this is what I got as an error:
          "WARNING[dvd_gui]: add_keybinding(): No such action: 'SaveScreenshot'
          WARNING[dvd_gui]: add_keybinding(): No such action: 'SaveScreenshotWithSPU'
          X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 166
          Major opcode: 144
          Minor opcode: 3
          Resource id: 0x0
          Failed to open device
          Failed to open device
          ERROR[ogle_nav]: faild to read VIDEO_TS.IFO
          main: DVDSetDVDRoot: Root not set"

I have no idea what to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by dick
            After installing Ogle I tried playing a DVD with it but nothing happend. Not even a blue screen. So I ran it in a terminal and this is what I got as an error:
            "WARNING[dvd_gui]: add_keybinding(): No such action: 'SaveScreenshot'
            Failed to open device
            Failed to open device
            main: DVDSetDVDRoot: Root not set"

I have no idea what to do with it.

Yep seen this before. I get this if the DVD has been in the DVD drive for a while and I have not accessed it.

If I eject the DVD drive and then push it back in again, the drive starts to spin for a second or two. I am then able to access the DVD with: Ogle > File > Open disc

psb154

Comment

I'm afraid that didn't help. Still I got the same error in both DVD-drivers.

Comment

Thanks to a post on 'http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=212025' I am one step further btut still got a blue screen.

When using VLC I get this error:
                VLC media player 0.8.6 Janus
                libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 0.1.9 from http://dvd.sf.net
                libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.5 for DVD access
                libdvdread: Couldn't find device name.
                libdvdnav: Can't read name block. Probably not a DVD-ROM device.
                libdvdnav: Unable to find map file '/home/dick/.dvdnav/.map'
                libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.IFO.
                libdvdnav: vm: faild to read VIDEO_TS.IFO
                [00000275] main playlist: playlist is empty

With Ogle this:
                WARNING[dvd_gui]: add_keybinding(): No such action: 'SaveScreenshot'
                main: DVDSetDVDRoot: Root not set

Any ideas on this?

Comment

I'm able to reproduce your problem, finally.

I watch my DVDs with ogle *only*. Ogle has always worked with every DVD, for me.

I then tried to do the same on my trusty ThinkPad (Kubuntu 6.10):

'Ghost in the shell' - worked fine.
                  Antitrust - failed to play.
                  Swordfish - failed to play.
                  'War games' - failed to play.
                  'Shawshank redemption' - failed to play.
                  'Ghost in the shell' (for consistency) - worked fine.

On the computer where all of these DVDs work fine, a homemade AMD XP2200 (Kubuntu 6.06), is an old LG DVD-ROM. Nothing special.

From my perspective, the problems that we are seeing, are related to hardware.

Perhaps you can give other DVDs ago to see if others work. Maybe there are some hardware fixes/workarounds.

Sorry mate :-(

psb154

Comment

I tried some already but none worked. Even vob-files stored on the computer's harddisk are give the blue screen.

I hope and trust it is not a hardware issue, because it all worked fine under SUSE Linux 10.1 which I used before Kubuntu Edgy.

Comment

Finally I got the problem fixed. It seems that for mplayer you have to run the command 'gmplayer -vo x11' which does the trick for me. I changed the command in the menu-item. It works.
                      In Kaffeine I changed the xine-engine for video to 'xshm' (after trying them all) and I can see something more then just a blue screen when playing DVD's.

Hopefully this solves other people's problems with the blue screen as well.

Comment

Same thing happened to me and there is the picture!!! This should be made a sticky 'cos it was doing my head in!

Many thanks, dick
                        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Working...
                        X