This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox Flash Not Really Installing

The flashplugin-nonfree installs on dapper via apt-get on the command line. I receive the prompt for the Macromedia download, accept and the install. It completes without any errors.

After a firefox restart, Flash still doesn't work and aboutlugins doesn't list it.
    sudo update-flashplugin gives "automatic installation failed due to network problems or upstream changes"

What gives? Macromedia sending different tarball? This was done on 09-17-06

Re: Firefox Flash Not Really Installing

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...d7c4ef05acff2b

hope this help you

Comment

Ok, thanks for the link, I'll try installing this thing manually. I'm guessing it's best to remove flashplugin-nonfree before doing this? The how-to doesn't address this.

Comment

Automatix could install it for you but you can install it easily from the Flash site for firefox or opera if you choose.

Comment

Good news, the manual install worked! Bad news, no sound. IIRC, theres already some threads about sound issue. I'll read up.

For me, the dapper install went much smoother than the "breezy" one. Good job Kubuntu community! All the multimedia stuff is working dandy and preforming better than it did under breezy. Also, the streaming media (VLC plugin) under firefox worked fine and was just a package install.

These problems with flash has been the only stumbling block. Hence, I'm considering just uninstalling firefox and reinstalling manully. For several reasons.

I'd just as soon get the updates from the menu and that's disabled for some unknown reason (to me). Not to mention, it drives me nuts not having the cool orange fox icon! He's cool on my panel and Kubuntu users don't like cheesy desktops I know its possible to put him back manually, but its a pain.

Just some thoughts. Thanks again, community.
          --ep

Comment

Can you install Flash for i386 on 64bit of Kubuntu?

Comment

Originally posted by ep
              Good news, the manual install worked! Bad news, no sound. IIRC, theres already some threads about sound issue. I'll read up.
              Go to Kmenu > System settings > Sound and Multimedia
              Uncheck 'enable the sound system'
              Apply and restart firefox, try playing a flash video now.
              Let us know if it works for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Swampfox
                Originally posted by ep
                Go to Kmenu > System settings > Sound and Multimedia
                Uncheck 'enable the sound system'
                Apply and restart firefox, try playing a flash video now.
                Let us know if it works for you.
                Ah too late, I already fixed it by

1. installing the alsa-oss package
                2. changing FIREFOX_DSP="none" to FIREFOX_DSP="aoss" in /etc/firefox/firefoxrc

Comment

Working...
                X