This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update to Firefox

I am running Firefox v1.5.0.5; I see that v1.5.0.7 is out and I'd like to update my browser.

I have downloaded from the Mozilla website the entire package, firefox-1.5.0.7.tar.gz. I have unpacked it so that I can see the various packages in the download.

What I do not see is how to install/upgrade the new version. I have looked at the .sh script programs and cannot tell which to use. There are no instructions in any text file that I can see how to upgrade the software. How do I do this, upgrade Firefox?

I have looked at using Adept and Synaptic and cannot see how to do it using these utilities. Is the updated Firefox program on any of the repositories? How can I tell if it is?

I would appreciate any suggestions. TIA.

Re: Update to Firefox

Is there an installation proceedure with FF? In my experience you just untar it somewhere (I suggest /opt/firefox) and create appropriate symlinks. Youre profile data from the previous installation should be stored in ~/.mozilla/.... and should work just as well with the new version as with the old, BUT make sure you make a backup of that folder, as loosing your FF setup is a nightmare.

Comment

Hi,

Usually you have to wait few days before firefox update is available in official repos (like other apps), it's time for developper and testers to try if the package will not break anything and if it's at least as stable as previous one...
      So to install ff update, you have three choices :
      - or you want to stay like repos and wait a while, then when available, update
      - you don't want to wait and you install manually ff (I think there's a proc on wiki but it's not really hard, usually there's a file in the package for ff website)
      - you want to be on the edge of testing, and update to edgy eft so you will have even beta packages. This solution is for testers or people who want to play with beta versions...

Cheers

Comment

were you talking about this?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FirefoxNewVersion

Comment

Working...
        X