X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problems with libc6-i686

hej,
    I just changed from a debian installation to kubuntu. The initial installation worked quite well, but now I seem to have a problem installing further packages (anything from tex-related business such as kile to gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly libxine-extracodecs). It always comes down to the following error message:
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    libc6-i686: PreDepends: libc6 (= 2.3.6-0ubuntu20) but 2.3.6.ds1-3 is to be installed
    In Adept the package libc6-i686 is marked as broken. Could it be that I caused this mess by initially having had debian repositories in my sources.list? Anyone have an idea of how to deal with this? any comments most welcome!

Re: problems with libc6-i686

Originally posted by lfgroene
    Could it be that I caused this mess by initially having had debian repositories in my sources.list? Anyone have an idea of how to deal with this? any comments most welcome!
    Most likely, '2.3.6.ds1-3' sounds like a debian package versioning (most ubuntu packages have the word 'ubuntu' in them)

The solution would be to force the version of libc6 to 2.3.6-0ubuntu20 or to remove the package and reinstall (with the debian repositories disabled)

As a general rule it's not a good idea to keep debian repositories enabled as they may mess up upgrades and dependencies (since the naming of the packages vary)

Comment

Re: problems with libc6-i686

Ya I am Using kubuntu 8 (Harly) and when I did the updates it says the libc6-i686 is broken and I think it is just who ever uploaded it screwed up it happend before in ubuntu 6 then they put a fix on right a way I hope they do it again...

Also I notice with the Harly version it don't detect my graphics card right and it will only let me get 800 x 600 and if I put the Nvidia driver in it drops to 640-480 and in version 7 and prior it worked at 1280 x 1024 but I found if you have a ASUS mother Board model M2N-MX SE with built in audio and video the audio never worked after update but they fixed that now it does but the vide card on the mother board is a GeForce 6100 GPU and if you go in Kubuntu it says it is a Vese (Generic Driver) but if you go and click on K then System Settings then Monitor and Display then admin mode and then hardware then go to the right were it says graphics card and click configure and scroll all the way up to the top of the list then click driver then scroll down a bit till you see vesa and clisk it not vesa (genaric) and then click ok and then go to size and position and move it to the desired resolution if it will not go to monitor and take it off of Plug and play and pick monitor or LCD and the res then go back and set the size and res that you wanted before.

Then click apply and reboot

Now I wish they had a fix for the Libc6-i686 this is crazy if they do or some one knows of one please E-Mail me to let me know at grizz@grizzsden.com and yes my web page is down but my E-Mail works thanks..

Comment

Working...
      X