This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KMail issues

I've been having so much trouble with KDE lately but I haven't had time to try to resolve all of my nit-picking issues. Hopefully somebody here can help me with today's problem. I have a problem copying source code examples from emails. Somehow the text copied to the clipboard contains xA0 characters that choke the parser/compiler when I paste. These characters seem to turn up at every new line in my emails. Is there some encoding switch that I need to toggle to fix it?

Re: KMail issues

0x0A, which is decimal 10 in hexadecimal notation, is the ascii code for linefeed. It is the character that all unix versions, including linux, use as the end-of-line marker. That explains why those characters are showing up, but it doesn't explain why you see them as text. Once, they're in text they get get copied to the clipboard like all the rest of the text. They should be trival to remove, though, with your favorite text editor. Just use a search and replace, where the replace is one space.

Comment

I would guess that they're caused by whoever is sending you the email with the source code. Their email client might not be handling the linefeeds correctly when they paste the code into the email.

Comment

That's a XA0 not x0A (not a type-o) which i know to be a line feed character. It's not from who's sending the emails either. It's something in the codepage or encoding that KMail uses internally. When I copy text to the clipboard and then past it into my GroovyConsole or on the command line during a groovyShell session it chokes the parser which reports a bunch of xA0 characters. I don't have the problem copying from any other source. If I get my email through my browser and copy then the problem goes away.

Comment

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. I used kmail for years and never saw that problem. On the other hand, the association with the ends of lines and the fact that I, myself, am a lousy typist led me to believe that your problem was actually newlines getting translated to hex by some mail transfer agent along the way from your correspondent to you.

That said, I have no idea what is causing your real problem, but I still maintain that you should be able to eliminate it trivially in one line of sed, bash, awk, or perl. Alternatively, any text editor with Search and Replace will get rid of it in a single step.

Comment

Thanx askrieger,

I'll see what I can do about it. I get nervous using search/replace utilities to transform text on the fly but maybe it makes sense in this case.

Comment

Working...
            X