This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Text file listing installed packages

How can I generate a text file listing all the packages installed?
    - Just like the Adept listing would be fine.

Install dates and repository where each package came from would be a good feature. (It would make it easier to maintain our three family PC's.)
    Is this information already available someplace where I can find it myself?
    I am using Kubuntu 6.06.

Re: Text file listing installed packages

There are a couple of options.  For a list with dates, try:

K Menu --> System --> Konsole

then
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoclean
    ls -lh /var/cache/apt/archives/ > packages.list
    apt-get autoclean removes any redundant packages that have been superceded by recent updates.  The rest generates a list with the dates that the packages were downloaded to your box, which 99.9% of the time is the date of installation.  Now, the drawback with this method is that it lists packages you've downloaded even if they were not installed or if they have since been deleted.

For a list of what's installed without the extra info, there's:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg  --get-selections | grep '[[:space:]]install$' | awk '{print $1}' > package.list
    This will tell you what's installed, but without a date stamp.  This code is from the book "Ubuntu Hacks", and it works fine on Kubuntu.  Hack #80, p. 311, is how to "Clone an Installation".  That might be what you're after with your three Kubuntu boxes.

Comment

Thank you! It worked fine.

Comment

Dear proteus71,

I've been actually looking for exactly something like this, I would like to single out the packages that I installed in the last couple of days. However, it seems that the time stamps I have on the packages come from when they were originally created and not when I downloaded them. (Most of them are from before I bought my laptop and some are even a few years old).

Is there a way to get information on when they were actually downloaded and/or installed?

Thanks!!
        -Krampusz

Comment

Originally posted by Krampusz
          I've been actually looking for exactly something like this, I would like to single out the packages that I installed in the last couple of days. However, it seems that the time stamps I have on the packages come from when they were originally created and not when I downloaded them. (Most of them are from before I bought my laptop and some are even a few years old).

Is there a way to get information on when they were actually downloaded and/or installed?
          See /var/log/apt/history.log
          we see things not as they are, but as we are.
          -- anais nin

Comment

wizard10000,

Perfect! Thanks!

-Krampusz

Comment

Working...
            X