X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a puzzle game

Did not know where else to post this.

Does anyone know of a simple puzzle game. like the puzzle you do from a box on a table.

There is kpuzzle but way to hard. I have searched for days and nothing.

Looking for games for small children.

thanks all.

If you know where I should post this let me know ok.

Re: a puzzle game

Are you sure KPuzzle couldnt be adapted to your needs? Looking at its homepage I see a screenshot of a 4x4 puzzle, and you have the option of picking the pictures ...

Also looking in synaptic, I see two programs:
    Package: junior-puzzle

Debian Jr. Puzzles
    Some puzzle-type games, from the more arcade-like and frozen-bubble to xjig (a
    jigsaw puzzle program), to lmemory (based on the classic "memory" card game),
    we hope this sampling of packages will appeal to child and adult alike.

Package: xjig

An X11 jigsaw puzzle
    xjig is a puzzle that tries to replicate a jigsaw puzzle on the screen
    as closely as possible. Any GIF, JPEG or PPM image may be loaded and cut
    into pieces. The goal (as with any jigsaw puzzle) is to reassemble the
    original picture.

Tiles may be freely rotated by use of the mouse, flipped (for
    double-sided puzzles) and even shown as shaped windows on the desktop
    (fast machine/video card recommended for the latter!). An example image
    is provided in /usr/lib/games/xjig .
    Alternatively, but a real jigsaw! Ah remember the good old days when we used to play with real stuff ...

HTH.

Comment

Originally posted by a_l_a_n
      Are you sure KPuzzle couldnt be adapted to your needs? Looking at its homepage I see a screenshot of a 4x4 puzzle, and you have the option of picking the pictures ...
      My mistake ... I see now that that is just a close up of a biger puzzle.

Comment

My mistake ... I see now that that is just a close up of a biger puzzle.
        Thanks for the help. I already have xjig installed but even with update-menus its does not show up. I put in lots of stuff of junior and they don't show up either.

Any ideas?

thanks

edit: In fact was just at /usr/games and there is dozen of them not in the menu list. Do I have to edit them all manually. liek all the ace-?? games...

Comment

I dont understand ... ? Oh, you mean it doesnt show up on the KMenu? Press Alt-F2 and run the command xjig. I just installed it. Its a bit fiddley and may not be suitable for small children.

I dont really want to install junior cos it has so many dependencies, but you could use the same Alt-F2 approach, though I dont know what command to run.

I often find that the KMenu doesnt get updated until after I have edited it! Typically after installing a new program I will right click on K -> Menu Editor. I then create a new item, so for example you might make one called xjig and make the command 'xjig'. Then, after I have hit save, the menu gets updated leaving me with the shortcut I just created as well as the one added automatically by the newly installed program. I then go back and delete the one I made. Its a very annoying process.

Just googled to see if I could find the command to launch the junior jigsaw and from what I saw I think the junior jigsaw is in fact xjig .....

Comment

I dont understand ... ? Oh, you mean it doesnt show up on the KMenu? Press Alt-F2 and run the command xjig. I just installed it. Its a bit fiddley and may not be suitable for small children.

I dont really want to install junior cos it has so many dependencies, but you could use the same Alt-F2 approach, though I dont know what command to run.

I often find that the KMenu doesnt get updated until after I have edited it! Typically after installing a new program I will right click on K -> Menu Editor. I then create a new item, so for example you might make one called xjig and make the command 'xjig'. Then, after I have hit save, the menu gets updated leaving me with the shortcut I just created as well as the one added automatically by the newly installed program. I then go back and delete the one I made. Its a very annoying process.

Just googled to see if I could find the command to launch the junior jigsaw and from what I saw I think the junior jigsaw is in fact xjig .....
            Well thanks for all your help.

xjig only seems to have one image and its not complete. missing pieces.

cannot find info on anything of junior and how to run them. their installed their someone but only one who knows are the one who wrote it and their not talking. all search on my system for junior end up with nothing.

thanks anyway for trying

Comment

Anyone looking for a jigsaw puzzle for kubuntu should try version 2.5 of xjig, but use it with the xjig manager.
              I see comments here and other forums about xjig being hard to use. This is no longer the case.

If xjig 2.5 is used with Xjig Manager, it is very easy to use, and the control of puzzle pieces can be set as you like.

Xjig Manager is a front end launcher for xjig 2.5 or later. There is no need to use the command line at all.

The options in version 2.5 are not available in the official version 2.4 in the repository.

xjig-2.5-2 and the manager are available as deb files from sourceforge.net
              http://sourceforge.net/projects/xjigmanager/files/

Hope this is helpful to anyone looking for a jigsaw puzzle.

Comment

Working...
              X