X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eclipse on Kubuntu 6.06

Hi,

Is there someone who already installed Eclipse on a Kubuntu 6.06 version?

If so, can you explain me the steps you've taken?

I myself have downloaded the version "Linux (x86/GTK 2) (Supported Versions) eclipse-SDK-3.2-linux-gtk.tar.gz" from here: http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/...1905/index.php.

However, after untarring and starting up eclipse, I immediately get the following error:

Code:
    ./eclipse: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Anyone any idea what I'm missing?

Best rgds,

--Geert

Re: Eclipse on Kubuntu 6.06

Well, I havent installed it myself, but searching http://packages.debian.org for libgtk-x11reveals that libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 comes with the libgtk2.0 package. Its rarely necessary to post questions asking which package contains a required file. A quick google nearly always throws up the answer.

Comment

why not just install it through synaptic?

Comment

Originally posted by tim.thelion
        why not just install it through synaptic?
        Did follow your advice. The few things which were in Synaptic after typing "eclipse" to search for, were:

* ecj-bootstrap-gcj
        * ecj-bootstrap-
        * openoffice.org-dev

I installed all of them, but I can't clearly see the relation to Eclipse itself. I also am not able to find a program entry to Eclipse.

Or am I missing something (not used to Synaptic at all)?

Best rgds,

--Geert

Comment

GeertVc, any luck installing Eclipse 3.2? Can you share the steps you followed to get it working?

Thanks...

Comment

sudo apt-get install eclipse

or synaptic - search eclipse - right click mark for installation - apply

Comment

Originally posted by livingdaylight
              sudo apt-get install eclipse

or synaptic - search eclipse - right click mark for installation - apply
              This is indeed the easiest method. But the result is that you get an older version of Eclipse: 3.1

Selecting to update the current version doesn't result in switching to version 3.2.

If it's important you want 3.2 of course...

Best rgds,

--Geert

Comment

Originally posted by buzo
                GeertVc, any luck installing Eclipse 3.2? Can you share the steps you followed to get it working?

Thanks...
                Yes, I got it up and running. I downloaded the sources from the Eclipse site (Linux sources, of course) and compiled it.

That worked without any problems (to my own surprise...). Can't remember if other packages were needed, but even if they were, installing them was not a problem.

There was one strange thing I remembered: starting Eclipse from the command line gave me quite a bit of errors/warnings regarding X11.

Starting it from the menu didn't give any warning at all.

I'll try to write down again the steps I followed and share it.

Best rgds,

--Geert

Comment

I am having these troubles as well trying to work with an easyeclipse.org version of eclipse (I seem to have a tough time installing phpeclipse and other plugins with the eclipse from the repository, so I'm now trying to use a pre-packaged version of eclipse .... clearly not a good idea).

anyone have any idea what to do to get it to work? when I search for libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 using locate I see that the file is present on my system:

stefan@trypticon:/usr/lib$ locate libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
                  /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.800.20
                  /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
                  /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
                  /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
                  /usr/local/mysql-gui-tools-5.0/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
                  /usr/src/vmware-player-distrib/lib/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
                  /usr/src/vmware-player-distrib/lib/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0

I'm on an AMD64 system

Comment

Working...
                  X