This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sometimes Adept fails to start

Every once in a while, when I run Adept, it doesn't start. I can't seem to figure out a pattern to this; it just happens sometimes. I'm actually not even sure if the problem is with Adept or kdesu, since it never pops up the box asking for my password when the problem occurs. The little hourglass icon just spins in the taskbar for about 30 seconds and then disappears. If I open up a terminal and check ps, though, the kdesu process trying to start Adept is still there. I can kill it easily with a TERM signal. Then, when I try to start Adept again, it pops up the password dialog and works fine.

Has anyone encountered anything like this?

Re: Sometimes Adept fails to start

Have exactly the same problem here...such small issues combined with amarok problem (xine-lib borked) and many missing crucial tools (sysv-rc-conf), ndiswrapper-tools etc. deter me from installing kubuntu just now on my father's pc... but anyway it's still the best distro for new linux users so far... maybe the next version will work out of the box?

Comment

Same here. What I did was install Synaptic, and man... works like a charm. Totally forgot about Adept. Updated Amarok and that corrected the problems too. Through Synaptic or "sudo apt-get install sysv-rc-conf" you can install that utility without problems.

...hasta la vista...

Comment

Same Adept problem here. I might well go for Synaptic or Give Smart package manager a go (it gets good press)

Comment

Not sure if this works for everyone, but I think I just found a solution to this. It seems to happen whenever you have used sudo in a terminal. Afterwards I found two "sudo" processes in the process list, so I did the following:

Opened "run command" dialog (Alt+F2) and ran "kdesu killall sudo". Lo and behold, kdesu came up, sudo processes got killed, and upon running adept it came up without any further ado.

Seems to me the sudo and kdesu processes are getting in each other's way somewhere.

Hope this works for everyone.
          Do not understimate fools. Better ones are born all the time and Microsoft is hiring.

Comment

Update:

Actually happened again today and killing sudo processes was not sufficient. Killing kdesud via "kdesu killall kdesud" did the trick though.

Also see bug report on other forum.
            Do not understimate fools. Better ones are born all the time and Microsoft is hiring.

Comment

I'm still not sure if the problem is with kdesu or adept (now adept_manager in edgy).

Sometimes when I click on Adept Manager from the K menu it doesn't bring up the kdesu box. Sometimes it does but then Adept doesn't launch.

I've seen more problems with kdesu when trying to launch other apps after it as well, so I believe there is a problem with kdesu but also possibly with adept.

I've confirmed this on 3 different systems I have. Having to drop to a console and run sudo adept_manager always works.
              https://www.linuxcounter.net/user/267216

Comment

Working...
              X