This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disabling Automatic Previews?

Alright, drag and drop a *.txt file from konqueror to your desktop.

ok?

You should see a few text words with the application icon faintly seen, kind of like a watermark.

Now if you move your mouse over the icon it's previewed.

But what if you don't want it previewed!

Solution, so I thought, was right click on icon > properties > preview tab > uncheck automatic preview.

Right?  Wrong!  Nuthin happens.

Ideas?

Re: Disabling Automatic Previews?

Settings menu > Configure Konqueror > Behavior > uncheck "Show previews in file tips" > click Apply
    (Note: if it's already unchecked the first time, you might have to check it first, click Apply, then uncheck it again, and click Apply again)

Hope that helps.
    Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Thanks but it didn't work.

To get there was a bit different too:

KDE Control Center > KDE Components > File Manager > Behavior tab to disable 'show previews in file tips'. Tried it a couple of times ... enabled, disabled ... etc. Even restarted.

Before submitting bug report can you duplicate this?

Comment

Hmm.. AFAIK, you don't need to go to KControl to get into the File Manager settings. It's available from Konqueror's menu.

Just so that we're clear that we're understanding each other, which "preview" do you want to turn off?
        1. the document preview that you see instead of the icons; or
        2. the preview that is inside the tooltips, the yellowish popup box with file details that appears when you put your mouse over a file.

If it's #1, all you have to do is to go to the View menu > Preview > and uncheck "Text files" or any other previews you don't want to see (probably HTML and KOffice files, too).

If it's #2, the instructions I gave in the previews post should do it.
        Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Originally posted by Jucato
          If it's #2, the instructions I gave in the previews post should do it.
          I think this is the correct one...and yes, your instructions *should* work, but for some reason (possibly a bug) the check box has no effect on the 'automatic preview', which is enabled whether it's checked or not (at least on my machine) :P

Of course you can disable the whole tooltip (which works) but then you miss out on the file properties shown on the tooltip.

Comment

It seems I've finally been able to make it "not" work. If I turn of the the previews in file tips, it works (removes file tip previews) UNTIL I refresh the folder, afterwhich, it goes back to showing previews, regardless of whether the option is checked or unchecked.

Give me a few minutes to see if I can make a workaround solution.

EDIT: I officially give up . I couldn't find anything to edit/modify to fix this. As far as config files are concerned, checking/unchecking that option correctly edits/modify the proper line in the config files. I don't what else could be causing this, other than a bug...
            Jucato's Data Core

Comment

I think this is the correct one...and yes, your instructions *should* work, but for some reason (possibly a bug) the check box has no effect on the 'automatic preview', which is enabled whether it's checked or not (at least on my machine) :PYes, that's exactly what I'm seeing on this end and what prompted the post.

Comment

I have had the same problem (backwards; I wanted to turn them on). And solved it by opening

~/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals

and scrolling down to the section called '[KDE]'
                and editing the line:

EffectNoTooltip=false

'false' means show the previews, and 'true' means hide them.

You will have to restart X (Control + Alt + Backspace) to see the changes.

Comment

Working...
                X