This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to run a program at start up

very new to linux here., i have a fujitsu p1120 with kubuntu 6.10 i need to make the joytouch aplication to start a system start up to be able to use the touch screen without having to manually start the aplication. also help file indicates to run "joytouch -cal "to calibrate the screen., how do i run it.

Re: how to run a program at start up

Use the menu to go to the KDE4 system setttings (or open a Konsole and issue "sudo systemsettings").

On the Advanced tab is an Icon called "AutoStart". Click it and in the next dialog click the "Add a program" button. That will allow you to add your program to KDE4's autostart so that after the desktop loads it will automatically run what you've added to autostart. You can also add application links to ~//.kde/autostart.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

sorry., i have kubuntu 6.06 not 6.10 and i just cant figure those instructions., perhaps they are just for ver. 6.10. and i try to find something like start up or similar to your instruction but no luck.. also how do i use the joytouch -cal to calibrate the screen, the instruction says run the program with "-use" like joytouch -cal but i dont know how to...any help !!!!!!!

Comment

If the program can run as root and before you are logged in to KDM add it to /etc/rc.local. This is a shell script that is run after the other init scripts.

Comment

I do not think there is a real answer for that question. They run different software and are used in different ways. One answer is that if you know how to do something in Windows and not in linux it will take a lot longer to get it done because you have to learn how.

That said I think linux is well worth the time it takes to learn because you have so much more control and can do things Windows will not let you do, knowing being a major one.

If all you want to do is word processing there is not much reason to learn linux, but if that were all you want to do you would probably not be looking at linux.

Comment

Originally posted by iovan
            sorry., i have kubuntu 6.06 not 6.10 and i just cant figure those instructions., perhaps they are just for ver. 6.10. and i try to find something like start up or similar to your instruction but no luck.. also how do i use the joytouch -cal to calibrate the screen, the instruction says run the program with "-use" like joytouch -cal but i dont know how to...any help !!!!!!!
            Sorry, I'm running Kubuntu 9.04 and when I saw "kubuntu" I glossed over the version number -- flat didn't see it.

KDE3 is not much different. Here is a way to do it:
            1. Open up Konqueror. Navigate to your home folder.
            2. Click on View. Select Show Hidden Files.
            3. Look for a folder named .kde and open it.
            4. Look for a folder named Autostart and open it.
            5. Click on the K Menu icon and navigate to the program that you would like to auto-start.
            6. Drag the icon for said program into the Konqueror window and select Copy Here when prompted.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
            X