This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade from 6.06 to 8.10

I'm completely new on Kubuntu and I have some trouble updating 6.06. I know, that I should do it in different steps and I looked for answer in the internet, I found some, but it seems they aren't working.

so could someone please tell me, what exactly I need to do?

Thanks a lot

Re: Upgrade from 6.06 to 8.10

Have you got a separate home partition?

Ian

Comment

You can only upgrade from one version to the next e.g. from 6.06 to 6.10, 6.10 to 7.04 and so on.

You CAN'T upgrade straight from 6.06 to 8.10.

If you have just installed Kubuntu you would be better to get an 8.10 disk and do a new install.
      "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
      "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

what is a home partition?

yeah I know, but right now I don't have any cd to burn and I'd like to do it now. could you give me some information about how to install 6.10 ...?

Comment

To install any version of Kubuntu (or any other distro) Linux, you need to have a LiveCD or DVD, or a USB stick setup to do an installation of the OS from. If you have none of these, well .....

If you want Kubuntu 8.10, best to either order the LiveCD (Shipit) or download the appropriate .iso file and burn your own CD. If you install 6.06, as already stated, you aren't going to be able to upgrade straight to 8.10.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

As I understand it - Kubuntu 6.06 "Dapper Drake" (LTS) expires next month - June '09 - ?
            Will there be a new LTS release to replace it? - or will I have to do a fresh install of Kubuntu 8.10 which has less than 3x yrs before it expires?
            When I installed K-6.06, I presumed that there would be a "cycle" of LTS releases every 3 & 5 yrs? I was confused when another LTS release - K-8.04 - came out...
            Please someone - What's the story?
            'bye, 'bye for now - a boggled-beagleburt!

Comment

Kubuntu doesn't have any LTS releases, only Ubuntu has.
              Most important laptop specs (this is my main computer, with Kubuntu on it):<br /><br />4096MB RAM (DDR2)<br />500GB Hard Disk<br />ATI Mobility Radeon 4570HD Videocard with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, up to 2280MB VRAM<br />Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor T6600<br /><br />OS: Kubuntu 10.10

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus
                Kubuntu doesn't have any LTS releases, only Ubuntu has.
                True, but to all intents and purposes Hardy is an LTS. If i lsb_release -a in a terminal, the result is:
                Code:
                malcolm@hippy:~$ lsb_release -a
                No LSB modules are available.
                Distributor ID: Ubuntu
                Description:  Ubuntu 8.04.3 LTS
                Release:    8.04
                Codename:    hardy

Comment

Yes, Ubuntu LTS. Not Kubuntu. So Kubuntu 8.04 gets no updates anymore after 18 months, unless it's a Ubuntu update. But KDE 4.0/4.1 will be unsupported before Ubuntu LTS will be unsupported.
                  Most important laptop specs (this is my main computer, with Kubuntu on it):<br /><br />4096MB RAM (DDR2)<br />500GB Hard Disk<br />ATI Mobility Radeon 4570HD Videocard with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, up to 2280MB VRAM<br />Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor T6600<br /><br />OS: Kubuntu 10.10

Comment

Working...
                  X