Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the Linux Media Encoder counterpart?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the Linux Media Encoder counterpart?

Currently, a friend uses Windows Media Encoder v9.0 (free from MS) to broadcast live audio (radio station) to the web.

What program is available in the Linux world for this functionality?
    worse, equal or better than Windows media encoder?

Re: What's the Linux Media Encoder counterpart?

none??

Comment

More like hundreds, but who has ever heard of windows media encoder? If you google
      linux windows programs equivalent
      you'll get a bunch of sites which may help you
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

which I did, but it looks like no programs in linux

Comment

It is quite likely that there is no program which matches exactly whatever you are looking for. I for one have never heard of windows media thingy so I have no idea what you require. My guess is that I am not the only one.

Perhaps a different approach works better. Instead of looking for a drop-in replacement you might want to check functionality.

Not saying it wasn't worth asking a linux forum about a windows program, but that obviously drew a blank (here). Another approach would be to ask over at the Ubuntu forum.

HTH
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Have a look at these sites.

Linux software equivalent to Windows software http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/...ndows_software

The Linux Alternative Project http://www.linuxalt.com/

Table of Equivalent Software http://www.libervis.com/wiki/index.p...alent_Software

Comment

Originally posted by geek
              Currently, a friend uses Windows Media Encoder v9.0 (free from MS) to broadcast live audio (radio station) to the web.

What program is available in the Linux world for this functionality?
              worse, equal or better than Windows media encoder?
              I am going to do some looking around for you but I want to confirm one detail.

When you say broadcasting live to the web, is he just making his playlist available (like last.fm or lala.com) as a radio station, or actually broadcasting as a dj, or a talk radio host (i.e. with a mic) and streaming that out in real time?

P.S... @kanith, what did that have to do with anything??

Comment

Icecast 2 (package name ices) is in medibuntu
                I believe VLC can also do this

Comment

You are right, Skunk.

The "kanith" is a spammer. He's been banned.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I don't know if you are just looking for streaming, but if you want playout as well, I recommend Campcaster. This is professional playout software so there is quite a bit to it. It won't be like some Windows freebie. It also has remote (http) management. Very cool. Here is a page where they explain the setup with various Linux streamers. Run Your Internet Radio Station With Campcaster: http://www.campware.org/en/camp/campcaster_news/818/

Edit: I just realized that you posted this under 6.06. Great, because Campcaster only runs on 6.06 and 8.04 IIRC. This is VERY good reason not to update.

Comment

Originally posted by skunk
                      Icecast 2 (package name ices) is in medibuntu
                      I believe VLC can also do this
                      You are correct, VLC does stream to the network.
                      Intro

The easier way to start streaming with VLC is by using one of the graphical user interfaces. These are the wxWindows and skinnable interfaces for Windows and GNU/Linux and the Mac OS X native interface.
                      Streaming using the Wizard

The Streaming/Transcoding Wizard leads you step by step through the process of streaming your media on a network or saving it to your hard drive. This Wizard offers easy to use menus but provides a restricted set of options.

Note: The wizard is only available on the wxWindows interface.

Launching the wizard

To launch the Streaming/Transcoding Wizard open the "File" menu, and select the Wizard menu item.

Wizard dialog

First select the type of task:

* Stream to network: Choose this option if you want to stream media on network.
                      VLC is an amazing application. The "Swiss Army Knife" of media manipulation. It even has CLI options.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                      X