This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

reducing photo pixel count to send by email

I downloaded the Digikam pdf (225 pages!),but could not find a reference to this.
    Any advice?
    thanks

Re: reducing photo pixel count to send by email

Probably the easiest way to do it would be with an image editor instead of a photo manager. Try using The GIMP. Open an image in it, click the Image menu > Scale Image > resize to desired size. From my own experience, pictures taken from my digital camera (3072x2304), resizing to about 20% generally gets better sizes for emailing or putting on the internet.
    Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue...

Comment

Or, if you are open to proprietary software, Picassa does a wonderful job doing this, in the background... it is one of my favorite apps for many reasons...

http://www.google.com/linuxrepositories/apt.html

If you want to give it a try, be warned that you might have to manually load the key in Adept... I could never get it to work with their commands.

Comment

Thanks to both of you.
        I had avoided gimp because I tought that it was very complex; but your instructions,digitalhead, sound simple enough even for me. Thanks.
        kjjjjshab.
        I am planning to upgrade to 8.04.1 very soon so will wait until then to install picasa
        thanks.

Comment

I do what digitalhead does -- gimp may have it's complexities, but you don't have to master every feature to do the simple stuff like shrinking an image.

Comment

Well, I'm not into graphics of any sort, and have been in the same boat as senorian.
            The quick-and-dirty solution proposed by digitalhead is right-on and it's what I've done in the past.
            Perhaps some guidelines? The 20% suggested by digitalhead seems to go well and fast. For some reason, I've picked the nice round number of 600x400 with good results.
            This would be a FWIW post.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I said 20% in my post because that's what seems to work best with my photos that I'm going to upload. Picking a width that you want as a baseline can make it a whole lot simpler. All of the photos I resize come from the same camera and are the same resolution.

Also, if you would be interested in using some of Gimp's more advanced features (and not sure how to work with them), make sure to install gimp-help in your language. It is a pretty good help system, some with examples.

Comment

sorry for the delay in replying digitalhead
                Thanks for the tip about "Gimp-help"

Comment

Originally posted by senorian
                  sorry for the delay in replying digitalhead
                  Thanks for the tip about "Gimp-help"
                  Not a problem about the delay. I figured I would mention installing the gimp-help package since it's not installed by default with Gimp.

However, if you have a lot of images you want to resize, you can do a batch process by installing gimp-plugin-registry, which includes David's Batch Processor. It adds an entry in the Xtns menu for "Batch Process..."

Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                  X