This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

root partition too small

I recently migrated from Slackware to Kubuntu Dapper. I kept my old partitions from the Slackware installation but now I see that doing so was a mistake. My root partition is too small and I can no longer update the kernel.

How can I increase the size of my root partition without reformatting it, which would of course require reinstalling kubuntu?

Also, here's what my /lib/modules directory looks like:

drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 1024 2006-04-14 09:31 2.6.15-19-386
    drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 1024 2006-04-14 16:40 2.6.15-20-386
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 1024 2006-04-25 12:08 2.6.15-21-386

The third line is broken because dpkg could never complete the upgrade due to lack of room on the partition. Can I simply delete the first one and try sudo apt-get upgrade again?

The root directory has the following symlinks proving that the first line above is OLD:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 29 2006-04-14 16:40 initrd.img -> boot/initrd.img-2.6.15-20-386
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 29 2006-04-14 09:31 initrd.img.old -> boot/initrd.img-2.6.15-19-386
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 2006-04-14 16:40 vmlinuz -> boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-20-386
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 2006-04-14 09:31 vmlinuz.old -> boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-19-386

So, to recap, my questions are:

1) how do I increase the size of my root partition?

2) can I delete an old modules directory to temporarily give me more room?

TIA,

r.

Re: root partition too small

I would suggest booting a livecd to resize the partitions using qtparted or gparted, I do believe they are capable of resizing them. I am not sure if these are on a (K)Ubuntu live cd, but one or the other is usually found on most. A mandriva install disk also has a very good partiton resizer, just quit the install after you set up your drive

I would not recommend doing anything inside your /lib/ dir at all, all kinds of important things are in there. How big/small is your root partition?

You can gain some space by cleaning out your apt cache:
    $ sudo apt-get clean
    That can get very large as dapper has numerous and frequent updates

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'll look into qtparted or gparted.

To answer your question about size, here's a snippet from df -h:

/dev/hda2 236M 203M 20M 92% /

As for running sudo apt-get clean, when I run it, I get the following error message:

E: Invalid operation clean

Am I doing something wrong?

r.

Comment

I must assume you have had different partitions for other filesystem bits in slackware, as in for /opt/ /home, /, and the like. with only 230mb you aren't going to clear enough space out do do you any good, so i would definitely resize. My recent fresh install takes up nearly 1.5 gb with only a few extras installed from stock

Make sure you are using apt-get clean, and not apt-cache clean. Typo on my part there

Comment

I use acronis TrueImage to resize linux and win partitions. Works fantastically well, you have to make the live CD once installed in a win machine. Feel free to PM me, I will help you

Comment

Working...
          X