X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cannot move log file "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" to "/var/log/Xorg.0.log.old"

Hello everyone,

I think I have gotten most of my Dapper upgrade issues resolved, however, I am having another problem getting into KDE.

I can log into the system through the console, after the bootup splash screen, and it shows all the modules and things loading up, everything says, "OK" but, then goes to the shell login.  I sign in, and I can use it, but, when I issue the command:

startx

I get the error message:

cannot move log file "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" to "/var/log/Xorg.0.log.old"

There is also a mention of (errno 111): cannot connect to X server (sorry, I am on another computer at the moment, I don't have the exact error message)

At this point, it goes back to the command prompt, so, I type the following command:

sudo startx

and it goes into KDE.

Do I just need to fix permissions, if so, where do I start?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
    Brad

Re: cannot move log file "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" to "/var/log/Xorg.0.log.old"

tryed to delete the /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old?

Comment

Yep, tried to delete it, and it does recreate a new one, but, get the same error.

Comment

Did you get the .ICEauthority error? i had that 1 to and i just deleted that file and restart and everything was oke after that.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I did end up removing the .ICEAUTHORITY file, but, only after I reinstalled the xserver and x11-common.

Dapper is up and running!

Comment

Working...
          X