This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help fixing the Secondary Group Item list

Could someone help me find the secondary group item called “audio”? I somehow lost that off of the list of secondary group items.

Details: If you go to System Settings, then Users and Groups, Administrator mode, select a user, then click on Modify and select Secondary Groups and look through the list, I cannot find “audio” which used to be there. In fact it is there on other machines of the same configuration.

I have one machine with “audio” missing and thought that perhaps that the sound board was broken in this machine so I exchanged the hard drive from a machine of identical hardware and found that “audio” was present.

Another clue: If I attempt to look at KMix, and show Mixer Window, the field for Current mixer is empty.

Ray

Re: Need help fixing the Secondary Group Item list

I'm runny Gutsy, so I think the names of things may be slightly different. When you open the "Users & Groups" item (which is named "User Management - System Settings" in Gutsy), do you have 2 tabs, "Users" and "Groups"? If so, you want to click "Groups". There is at least one user (you) showing, and you want to highlight that line. Then in Gutsy there is a "ModifY" button down below the part of the panel that displays the list of user names, and if you click that a new window opens. I just now noticed the name of this window is "User Account - KDE Control Module", if that's any help. So, the next to last item on the little list of user characteristics is "Secondary Groups" and it has a "Select" button on the right of the little window, and when you click that you get another double-window named "Select Groups - KDE Control Module". On the left are "Available Groups" and on the right are "Selected Groups", and in the middle are an "Add >" and a "< Remove" button and so you want to highlight "audio" on the left, and then click "Add >" to put it onto the list under "Selected Groups".

HTH

Comment

Re: Need help fixing the Secondary Group Item list

Great! My setup 6.06 is just a little different but I was able to get the "audio" subgroup installed and running thanks to your help.

Thanks,

Ray

Comment

Working...
      X