This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low Latancy

I just have a quick question about grub. Now, I see when I boot up and the grub screen comes up that there is a choice which is call "low latancy" can somebody tell me what is this for?

Thanks,

Pookito
    You can get me Using Threema: B6WSCFVY
    Mastodon: @pookito@latinos.social
    Jabber: pookito@neko.im

Re: Low Latancy

Hmmmmm -- you must have chosen to install it for it to appear on your boot menu -- were you not aware of doing that?

Low-lat is a kernel designed to support high-end audio processing, in which exact synchronization (timing) of transitions on multiple sound tracks is required. The generic kernels have a "latency" time period between the issuance of a command and the execution of that command by the CPU. It's all about what they call "scheduling" of processing tasks, between foreground (user commanded) and background (running daemons and processes), but the result is milliseconds of delay that means audio events on track #2 and track #3 end up not exactly synchronized as the user thought he commanded. So they came up with a special Low-Latency kernel that would absolutely minimize that delay (at the expense of some other performance characteristics, of course).

Comment

Working...
    X