X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installation Difficulty 6.06.1

Hi there everybody...

Am trying to install the Dapper Drake (6.06.1 release) on this iMac ... but am running into difficulties with the X configuration.  This has not been an issue with past releases.  Machine is an iMac (slot loader) 350 MHz, CRT screen, 256 Meg of RAM and 6 gig of hard disk.

Any attempt to allow the live install to proceed ... brings some disk activity ... but eventually a black screen and all activity stops.  When I try to use the 'video=ofonly' option I can get  CLI to work ... but am unable to get a working Xconfiguration  using the command 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver=xorg).

Never had such problems before with either Ubuntu or Kubuntu.  Have tried both the desktop and alternate disks.  Disk check reveals zero errors.  Have tried downloads from both local reps and the main rep.  No difference in outcomes.

Anyone got ideas??

riccardo

Re: Installation Difficulty 6.06.1

Replying to my own post!!

Nothing much changed until I undertook an experiment with the command 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg'. I tried using the video suggested by video card (ati 128, etc) but when I reverted to simple 'frame buffer' and reduced the colour depth to 16, well all of a sudden I had a working display. Have now installed Xubuntu on this machine. I chose Xubuntu because I already have it installed on my ancient laptop ... and I like the simplicity and speed of the display.

Cheers for now javascript:replaceText(' ', document.postmodify.message);

riccado

Comment

Re: Installation Difficulty 6.06.1

I got Kubuntu installed last night on my iMac 350 MHz w/380 meg ram. I tried to install Xubuntu, but it would get about 60% copying files then freeze the computer, so I tried Kubuntu instead and it went right through. I find that it is much more responsive than OS X 10.4.5 on this same machine. Anyway, I'm very happy with it so far.

Comment

Working...
      X