This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Konsole 20 second delays after typing

I have been using Kubuntu on this Mac-Mini for a few months now and it has mostly worked pretty well. I use the Konsole to log in to another Linux machine, and that has worked well up until a couple of weeks ago, when I started getting delays between the time I type anything in the konsole and when the output actually appears. I was getting some other weird behavior and I rebooted it last week. I hoped that would fix the delay as well. However it has gotten even worse. Now sometimes when I type it is 20 seconds before the characters appear. It is almost impossible to use it at this point.

I logged into yet another remote machine and it is exhibiting the same problem. I don't seem to see the delays in the konsole windows that are not logged into remote machines.

I was thinking perhaps I would just upgrade to a newer version of Kubuntu, but it appears that there isn't one...

My guess is that it is a network problem? Does anybody have any suggestions where to look for problems?

Thanks
    -Scott

Re: Konsole 20 second delays after typing

I think I may have confirmed that it is a network problem. I started a ping to the remote machine in one terminal and started typing in another. At the same time the typing stopped, the ping was dropping packets.

Comment

Re: Konsole 20 second delays after typing

It looks like the problem was just a bad ethernet cable. I connected it with a different cable and now it seems to be working fine.

Sorry for the superfluous posting. Although thinking about the problem enough to explain it, is what started me thinking about it enough to realize where the problem lied. I've been blaming it on the OS for weeks now. I can't remember ever seeing a cable just go bad when it hasn't been touched for months. Weird!

Comment

Working...
      X