Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 64-bit Kubuntu Edgy and Flash 9 plugin thread....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 64-bit Kubuntu Edgy and Flash 9 plugin thread....

I thought this should be easy (right ) , so I followed some instructions posted by gsdefender on ubuntuforums:

[*]Enable at least the "universe" repository in /etc/apt/sources.list, then do a
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    [*]Install some important packages for the 32 bit emulation layer, together with the ALSA support (for sound):
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ia32-libs ia32-libs-kde lib32asound*
    [*]Get the 32 bit konqueror-nsplugins package (the Netscape plugin detector) from here. Be careful to choose the i386 link at the bottom of this page.
    [*]Rename some files that may collide with the 32 bit package:
    Code:
    sudo mv /usr/bin/nspluginviewer /usr/bin/nspluginviewer64
    sudo mv /usr/bin/nspluginscan /usr/bin/nspluginscan64
    [*]We need to extract only two files from the 32 bit - forcing installation of the package may break something severely. So I suggest installing Midnight Commander, that has a virtual file system for Debian packages:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install mc
    [*]Open Midnight Commander as root with:
    Code:
    sudo mc
    [*]Select the konqueror-nsplugins 32 bit package and press ENTER, then navigate to CONTENTS/usr/bin.
    [*]Copy nspluginscan and nspluginviewer to /usr/bin by pressing Insert until the two files become yellow, then press F5 and write "/usr/bin" in the To: field.
    [*]Quit the Midnight Commander, then do:
    Code:
    sudo mv /usr/bin/nspluginviewer /usr/bin/nspluginviewer32
    sudo mv /usr/bin/nspluginscan /usr/bin/nspluginscan32
    sudo ln -s /usr/bin/nspluginviewer32 /usr/bin/nspluginviewer
    sudo ln -s /usr/bin/nspluginscan32 /usr/bin/nspluginscan
    [*] Download http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"]Macromedia Flash player[/URL], decompress the archive and copy the needed files this way:
    Code:
    sudo mkdir -p /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
    tar xfz install_flash_player_7_linux.tar.gz
    sudo cp install_flash_player_7_linux/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
    sudo cp install_flash_player_7_linux/flashplayer.xpt /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
    [*] Try Settings -> Configure Konqueror -> Plugin -> Locate new plugins (I only "think" they are called as so, as all I have at the moment is the italian localization ), then see if a plugin is detected in Plugin.
    Note that I used the flashplayer 9 instead of 7!

My machine is running Kubuntu Edgy 64 on AMD64X2 processor

I removed all the "free" GNU-flash an other non-proprietary versions from my system. I followed the steps in the top post and also checked the dependencies. Then I started a new konqueror from the command line, and browsed off to youtube to test.

The results are, so far, promising but not satisfactory:
    - audio is perfect
    - video is also perfect (as far as I can see) but
    the window where the flash video plays doesn't have the ordinary "player" appearance: there is no slider, no play button, no sound controller - the entire player control panel is gone

In youtube it looks like this, everything is there, but resized so small it is almost invisible in upper left corner of player window:
    [img width=400 height=340]http://www.thcsp.net/images/div/bugs/konqueror64-flash9-problem.png[/img]

Am I missing a component? Shoud the flashplayer-mozplugin.so also be there? (As of now I only have the flashplayer.xpt and libflashplayer.so installed as 32 bit plugins).

These are the error messages generated in konsole while testing this random youtube movie page:
    Code:
    kdecore (KLibLoader): WARNING: KLibrary: /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8: undefined symbol: PKCS7_content_free
    kdecore (KLibLoader): WARNING: KLibrary: /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8: undefined symbol: OpenSSL_add_all_algorithms
    kdecore (KLibLoader): WARNING: KLibrary: /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8: undefined symbol: OPENSSL_add_all_algorithms
    kdecore (KLibLoader): WARNING: KLibrary: /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8: undefined symbol: OpenSSL_add_all_algorithms_conf
    ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libartsdsp.so.0' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
    ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libartsc.so.0' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.

(process:7969): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: gtype.c:2240: initialization assertion failed, use IA__g_type_init() prior to this function

(process:7969): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_clipboard_get_for_display: assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed
    Adobe FlashPlayer: gtk_clipboard_get(GDK_SELECTION_PRIMARY); failed. Trying to call gtk_init(0,0);

(<unknown>:7969): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
        Using the fallback 'C' locale.
    QObject: 17 timers now exist for object KJS::WindowQObject::unnamed
    QObject: 18 timers now exist for object KJS::WindowQObject::unnamed
    .....counts up until..........
    QObject: 63 timers now exist for object KJS::WindowQObject::unnamed
    QObject: 20 timers now exist for object KJS::WindowQObject::unnamed
    X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
     Major opcode: 10
     Minor opcode: 0
     Resource id: 0x4c00008
     Major opcode: 7
     Major opcode: 25
     Resource id: 0x4c00021
    ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libartsdsp.so.0' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
    ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libartsc.so.0' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.

(process:8004): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: gtype.c:2240: initialization assertion failed, use IA__g_type_init() prior to this function

(process:8004): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_clipboard_get_for_display: assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed
    Adobe FlashPlayer: gtk_clipboard_get(GDK_SELECTION_PRIMARY); failed. Trying to call gtk_init(0,0);

(<unknown>:8004): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
        Using the fallback 'C' locale.
    I particularily don't like the OpenSSL error mesages here, does anyone understand what they mean?

The www.badgerbadgerbadger.com test page seems to work, it is youtube and also flash movies i found at deviantart that is not working properly![/QUOTE]

Re: My 64-bit Kubuntu Edgy and Flash 9 plugin thread....

For your information: I have been advised to use the newest nspluginwrapper, it should be konqueror64 compatible. I will report results here in this thread.

(first I get an awful lotta work retracing my steps from yesterday :P )

Comment

Re: My 64-bit Kubuntu Edgy and Flash 9 plugin thread....

I have been almost there, and back again, then almost there again:
      I found a way to make flash work in 64-bit firefox and that is not so bad. The method I used was the one described by pinguin / Jan Vitos in this thread on ubuntuforums. I did not find his decription too accurate though, and i made some improvised changes as I felt I had to. Noticeable the npwrapper.libflashplayer.so which is the file created when wrapping the 32-bit plugin using nspluginwrapper did not appear in my home directory, but in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. This is possibly because pinguin did not use sudo when running nspluginwrapper, thus his output was "personalized" to the account he used, whereas mine is available for all users.

PS: I tried to build the nspluginwrapper from source. There was nothing noticeably wrong with my build but somehow the tests on my homemade version failed whereas the .deb i picked up from janvitos repositories seemed to function. I hate it when that happens >

PPS: As I can read on nspluginwrapper developer Gwenole Beauchesne's nspluginwrapper homepages, the reason this does not work with konqueror64 yet is that it requires konqueror to be built using a different set of npapi headers from standard:

Beauchesne in release notes:
      Version 0.9.90.4
      Konqueror support
      Initial support for Konqueror browser is added in this release. However, you need an x86_64 version built with fixed NPAPI headers. The following patch was tested for kdebase 3.4.2 and above.
      Beauchesne has provided a patch. It seems like a 40 character fix, and that is all that remains to get it working in konqueror. How do I rebuild konqueror with the patch?

Comment

Working...
      X