X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pentium D in 32bits, using -both- processors

Hi all,

I'm running Kubuntu on a Pentium D 830, wich is 64bit, dual core. I've instaled the i386 version of the system to avoid some AMD64 arch problems with some software that I use a lot: flash-player (I work in the multimedia world, I need this one), skype (I live far from home, again I need it), nvidia drivers (I've seen many people in trobuble at the corresponding forums), apart from wanting to have a stable system using the newer versions possible.

My problem is that with my configuration, I'm only using one of the cores of my processor, and that's just a waste!

Any idea on how can I get dual core support, keeping it 32bit?

I've found in the forums some guys that just downloaded (apt) linux-image-2.6.15.23-686, but I'm not shure if 686 is ok for me. uname says my machine is 686, but I don't really know if 686 means 64bit or not (i suppose it does).

Code:
    $ uname -a
    Linux perolon 2.6.15-27-386 #1 PREEMPT Sat Sep 16 01:51:59 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux
    Thanx!

Re: Pentium D in 32bits, using -both- processors

"686" in kernel names means any Intel architecture CPU since the Pentium II. It is definitely 32 bit. In order to use your second core, you want an "smp" kernel. SMP kernels also work for single core Intel processors with HT technology. So I suspect that you want a 686-SMP kernel. I believe that the most recent Dapper kernel for your machine would be 2.6.15-27-686. The description says that it works for P IV-SMP, so I suppose that it works for a Pentium-D in 32 bit mode.

Comment

Thanx! I'll try to apt-get the kernel and then I'll tell you how it went.

N.

Comment

Hello!

Finally I've got the time to try, and it worked perfectly! just apt-get the 686-SMP kernel and reboot!

Really easy!

Thanx again

N

Comment

Working...
        X