This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

64-bit Kubuntu supporting 32-bit programs

I have a nifty idea... why not install the 32-bit libraries side-by-side with the 64-bit libraries on the 64-bit version of Kubuntu so that 32-bit programs run without having to hassle with setting up a chroot environment? That way we can run flash and adobe!

I can do the 32-bit chroot fine and set up scripts to run 32-bit firefox, etc, but tell me this-- how do you print from these apps when the print spooler is running on the 64-bit side? I already have to bind mount several things, doing it for the print spooler adds more complexity-- not to mention it is complex enough having to keep the 64-bit side updated and then turning around and doing all the updates again in the 32-bit chroot.

So why not just install the 32-bit libs side-by-side? After all, Fedora does just that. I can install 64-bit Fedora and then install 32-bit Adobe and it runs just fine. I'd like to have a Kubuntu system though.

Just a thought. It could be optional to calm those concerned with file system size.

Re: 64-bit Kubuntu supporting 32-bit programs

I whole-heartily agree. I just came over from openSuSE 10.1 and the whole 32-64bit blend is seamless. Through SMART, you can chose what ever package you want 32bit or otherwise. I'm able to get 32bit swiftfox to work without fuss, and I was even able to get most of my vids to play in 64 bit, but now i'm struggling to get wine running (warcraft III addict.) This whole process needs to be streamlined or people with 64bit chips will do 1 of 3 things. 1.) choose another distro such as opensuse/mandriva/fedora 2.) just run 32bit (k)(x)ubuntu 3.) go mad and return to windoze. All three would seem a waste.

Comment

You really don't want to go that route. Suse and Fedora both do that and aside from consuming a lot of disk space, it leads to a lot of inconsistencies and broken packages that force you into the dependency circle-jerk. Kubuntu/Ubuntu's methodology regarding this is the best route - trust me. You can install only what is needed or you may use Automatix2 and make quick work of your needs. I've saved a LOT of disk space and have better performance from this than with the other distro's.

8)

Comment

I used automatix2 to install 32bit swiftfox and it works great for everything form youtube to printing. You have to toggle the printer filter in order for your printer to be recognized by swiftfox and Ooo.o for that matter.
        Charlie
        P.S. don't know about wine and games.
        I tried Enlightenment once, it was pretty cool.

Comment

Can you explain "Toggle the Printer Filter" please?

I use automatix and swiftfox is fine however lack of a print capability is real annoying.

Thanks

Comment

I have several hundred gigs of disk space, 4 extra gigs or so will not matter. I just noticed Debian does it but I have not tried it yet. Does the dynamic linker take that much extra time when a program is executing?

I tried Fedora-6 64-bit and 32 bit programs work fine with no noticeable speed decrease. Granted I try to run what I need in 64-bit whenever possible, and compile my programs in 64 bit.

One thing that will not work under this method is accessing devices in 32 bit mode (loading 32 bit modules) while running a 64 bit kernel which is understandable.

Comment

Working...
            X