This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

64 bit and plugins

Just switched over to AMD64 build with edgy. Wondering if there is any collective wisdom concerning flash or acrobat under 64 bit. Is it a lost cause? I found a howto on ubuntu forums for replacing 64 bit firefox with 32 and installing the plugins, but no luck (got 32 bit firefox but can't get flash to run and acrobat crashes).

Out of curiosity what else have I denied myself by going 64 bit?

Re: 64 bit and plugins

I tried 64-bit Edgy (also SUSE). The Opera web browser is also not available for 64-bit. I've used Opera for years. It has an extra capability in Edgy: Opera can access my Netgear router. Firefox, Swiftfox, Mozilla, Konqueror, Galeon & Epiphany all crap out. As for Flash: 64-bit seems to be stalled indefinitely.
    For those 2 reasons I re-installed using 32-bit Edgy. I've got Flash, Opera and access to my router. Also, some problems with laggy applications seem to be corrected (Kaffeine for example).
    I have basically given up on ever getting full use of my expensive 64-bit processor. By the time we see complete implementation for 64-bit & dual-core, we'll be using the next (or next+1) generation of processors.

(I have an AMD 4400 Dual Core with ATI X800XL video, 2 gigs ddr)

Comment

sorry to bother kinda linux noob
      i also used opera and it could acces my router configs
      no komplains on konqueror file browser but i still would like to acces my router
      flash n java work fine if u need to use them
      if kubuntu want us to use konqueror fine but i would like it to work better
      than the ones we cant use
      talking about alcohol120% anyone know how to use these image files in linux
      with the pc below would be nice to play homm5 or q4 and d3

speccs:
      a8n sli-se athlon64 3200+ nforce4 512mb ddr geforce6800xt 256ddr3 sata 320gb

Comment

I also tried the 64bit Edgy, along with OpenSUSE; had to revert to 32bit Edgy mainly due to the fact that I had some issues with my connection, but apart from that I could not use Opera (a big woe) and Skype. And troubles with wine.
        you may find this useful: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=24575 (with the appropriate modifications)
        for me it seemed impractical

Comment

If you have a 64 bit install then get the Automatix application at
          http://getautomatix.com/ and proceed with thais route. It will correctly and quickly complete your 64bit install with everything you need. NOTE: You must use a 32bit version of a browser such as Firefox32 or Swiftfox as listed in the program.

Comment

Working...
          X