This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Downgrading from 64 bit...

I have had so many problems with trying to just install programs, and get programs to RUN in Kubuntu 64 bit ed. which im runnin on an Acer Aspire 5100 series laptop Amd Turion 64 X2 1.6Ghz , 1 gig. ram, .. i mean its perfect now for word processing, browsing internet(locks up at times) and chatting on Kopete. but that it. I cant watch videos cuz i cant get them to work. I finally got audio stuff to work so i can play my cd's.

I just want to know pretty much if i can type into Konsole sumthing and downgrade from 64 bit Kubuntu to i386?

Thanks,

Patrick

(also, if anyone has aim and can just talk me through doing sum stuff..that would work too. Im jus a visual learner...maybe thats the problem.)

Re: Downgrading from 64 bit...

Unfortunately, switching from AMD64 to i386 (actually AMD-K7) is not easy. Basically, you have to start from scratch, download, check the download, burn, check the burn, install, update the installed system, upgrade your kernel, then you can either manually add the repositories for the i386 only restricted formats, or use Automatix to get them.

The problem is that some software vendors, mainly the Macromedia division of Adobe, do not make AMD64 versions of their software. Work is under way to develop free software versions, but so far these are experimental. In addition, you may not be able to view some content encoded with proprietary M$ software (for obvious reasons).

Comment

Re: Downgrading from 64 bit...

well....idk...it just kinda sux that i dont have Flash support right now. I am not sure if i have video working or not now. I have automatrix now, which helped me a ton....but it could not get Realplayer to work, i figured that might be the whole 64 bit issue once again, not sure tho.

thanks anyway

Comment

Working...
      X