X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer ferrari 4005 with breezy amd64

Hi.
    I am having some problems. First off, I tried to install i386 version and got both the X700 ati to work as well as the broadcom card wifi stuff.
    Then I did some experiments to torture linux a little and killed it off. So, I decided to go for a try on kubuntu amd64 install disk and did just that, fixed the monitor problem and all. So , when I went on to get the ndiswrapper working and the ati drivers as well , I hit two problems.

The inf and sys files for the 64bit version are different, as well as the ato drivers for 64 bit. I tried all the wiki info I found and managed to install ndiswrapper and it does not seem to have really installed itself and when I installed the ati drivers in the order I was told by Wiki then the whole screensaver library tells me it has been orphaned and will not work.

I have since been looking for a way to properly uninstall these ati drivers and regain my screensaver library and also to get this ndiswrapper working properly on my wifi. The reason for this is, I just love this kubuntu stuff and I hope I NEVER will have to look at another windows XP desktop again.

One more thing, when I cat my cpu, I get this info:
    siggi@ferrari:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
    processor : 0
    vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
    cpu family : 15
    model : 36
    model name : AMD Turion(tm) 64 Mobile Technology ML-37
    stepping : 2
    cpu MHz : 800.071
    cache size : 1024 KB
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 1
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni lahf_lm
    bogomips : 1572.86
    TLB size : 1024 4K pages
    clflush size : 64
    cache_alignment : 64
    address sizes : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
    power management: ts fid vid ttp tm stc

My Acer is a true 2.0Ghz laptop so I am blundering why it did run on 2.0 ghz in i386 kubuntu but wont go further than 800Mhz with this native 64 bit kubuntu?? Is there a way to adjust this ?? With a screwdriver and hammer maybe ??

PLease, anyone out there who can help

Re: Acer ferrari 4005 with breezy amd64

I have two possible responses to your cpu speed problem:
    (1) Don't worry, be happy! Unlike windoze, Ubuntu automatically throttles down your cpu, saving battery life and reducing heat, unless full speed is required by a cpu intensive task (like compiling something). The problem is it doesn't turn the cpu up for things like (folding|einstein|seti)@home, so you loose prestige on those projects.

(2) You can fool around with the settings in SystemSettings>Hardware>Laptops&Power and see if you can force the processor to full speed. If you find out how, let me know, my standing at climateprediction.net has been sinking like a stone since I switched from Debian.

Comment

Excellent ! Great. !

But, can you help me install and get working OpenGL og fglrx 3d acceleration on my Ferrari 4005 Acer og a Kubuntu AMD64 os

Please say that you can. If not I will have to start looking again

Regards,

Siggi K

Comment

I have an nvidia graphics card so I can't help very much with ATI specific questions. I would look at the descriptions for the packages, xorg-driver-fglrx, xserver-xorg-driver-ati and fglrx-control. You might also want to look at the wiki page: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI

Comment

Working...
        X