Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Kubuntu 6.10 AMD64 on a Dell SC-1435 server with Opteron processor

Hello to all: this is my very first posting in these forums (I posted this question in the Ubuntu forums with no help...hopefully somebody can help me out here)

In our company we just bought a Dell SC1435 Server, for installing in it either Kubuntu or Ubuntu server, version 6.10. This server has an Opteron AMD64 processor.

However, as soon as the machine goes through its POST process and reads the CD-ROM, it shows in text mode:

Decompressing Linux
    Booting the kernel.

But then it freezes there and my only option is to turn off the server again (you cannot switch to any other screen by using the usual Ctrl+Alt+F[n] key combination.

The main hardware components are:
    -1 Dual Core AMD Opteron 2210 processor running at 1.8 GHz
    -2 SATA Hard Disks, each of 160 GB and each running at 7200 rpm
    -2 GB RAM (667 MHz)
    -Video card: ATI ES1000 (16MB)
    -1 dual interface Broadcom 5721J Gigabit ethernet adapter

Just for reference, CentOS 4.4 Server x86_64 installs without a problem, but then when you start X11 it shows a message that does not allow to start it: the server very briefly goes in to graphic mode and then returns to text mode, showing:

(WW) RADEON(0): Failed to set up write-combining rnge (0xe0000000, 0x1000000),

even though when running the installation program X11 starts ok and all the installation was done on graphical mode. Because of this I suspect that my problem may have to do with the video adapter.

Can anyone please help? I really don't want to stay with CentOS

Thanks in advance.

Re: Installing Kubuntu 6.10 AMD64 on a Dell SC-1435 server with Opteron processor

There are many "Recommended" patches listed here:

http://support.dell.com/support/down...os=LIN4&osl=EN

I would make sure you have them loaded, especially the BIOS and BMC. I know it says Enterprise Linux 4, but they shouldn't be o/s specific.

Good Luck.

Comment

Working...
    X