This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

non AMD cpu?

I'm very new to this OS. Haven't installed it yet, even. But I'm gonna start with kubuntu I think. I'm setting up a dual boot machine and I'm tryin to figure out which OS is best for my Dell Inspiron E1505 notebook. It has the core duo CPU.

These new Intel core duo CPUs claim to be 64 bit capable. Gee that would be real cool to have an OS that supports 64 bit processing. Does the kubuntu-6.10-alternate-amd64.iso work on them? Or am I waiting on a new release.
    Registered Linux User: 450747<br />Registered Ubuntu User: 16269

Re: non AMD cpu?

I have a Core 2 Duo X6800 CPU, and the generic kernel runs correctly, using both CPU cores. Others have reported problems trying to use the 64-bit kernel on Intel platforms. Moreover, a close reading of the Kubuntu information on this link suggests that the 64-bit kernel is only for AMD CPUs:

http://osmirrors.cerias.purdue.edu/p.../kubuntu/edgy/

Comment

sooo... Any plans for this in the future? That'd sure be cool!

Comment

IMHO, what would be very cool would be an application that actually used the 64-bit data bus to do something useful -- graphics editing comes to mind, for example. I'm guessing we're some time (years) from seeing that. Probably the OS will be developed to run on whatever silicon appears, but I haven't head of an Intel-centric 64-bit kernel. Besides, what kind of a goofball would run Linux on a .... er, uhh NEVER MIND!

Comment

It should work without a problem, your milage may vary though. I know there are quite a few people who do use 64-bit Ubuntu with the Core 2 Duos. I'd say if there's any problem with running it it'd be with the chipset if anything, and not with the processor. Why not give it a try? Can't hurt right?

Comment

Originally posted by dwidmann
            It should work without a problem, your milage may vary though. I know there are quite a few people who do use 64-bit Ubuntu with the Core 2 Duos. I'd say if there's any problem with running it it'd be with the chipset if anything, and not with the processor. Why not give it a try? Can't hurt right?
            BTW, right now I`m on the Kubuntu 6.10 64-bit with 2.6.17-10 generic kernel on core 2 duo. Havent encountered any problems with this config yet.

Comment

Now that I'm running Fiesty, and got all my drivers and bugs strait... How could I easily convert to the 64bit version without reworking everything? It sure would be cool if there was a seemless way to "upgrade" to the 64bit version. Since my bugs are clean, all new bugs I could assume was with the 64 bit OS.

EDIT: Well, that shoots that down.
              I downloaded the 64bit ISO and tried to boot from the CD. First thing, it tells me that my CPU doesn't support Long Mode and to use the 32 bit version. I have a Core Duo, not a Core 2 Duo. I guess they became a 64 bit with the Core 2s.

Comment

Working...
              X