This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Step by Step Ethernet Setup Please

Hi, absolutely new to all of this. Installed, Kubuntu and have everything working including internet except for my samba and ethernet. I have two computers on the ethernet network and both are dual boot windows and have Kubuntu as well
    One connects to the net and I would like the other to be able to do so as well. The network cards are detected on both. If I switch them back to windows the network functions as it should. The point being that windows sucks but the hardware and cable are correctly installed.
    Can anyone point me to a step by step guide to set up the ethernet firstly and possibly a step by step to set up the Samba access. Thanks alot I really enjoy the Operating System and hope to use it exclusively when I can get everything working.
    Or is there any type of online manual for Samba setup, ethernet setup or both? It seems obvious to me that the hardware works and I have filled in some fields or options incorrectly.
    Highly motivated pupil.

Re: Step by Step Ethernet Setup Please

Hi franklin
    here is the site for Samba
    http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/...html#id2555129

Good Luck

Comment

Franklin,

first of all, you should boot into Windoze (on both of your machines) and try to collect the following data from the network settings of these "operating systems" ... what we need in detail (as appropriate): your workgroup's name, your computer's names, their local (!) IP adresses and the IP address of your ISP's DNS server. Having found what we are looking for, you may savely revert from insanity (read: reboot both machines into Linux).

For the sake of clarity, I will take my own little network for an example:

- C3PO: 192.168.110.7 (Kubuntu 06.10, Workstation)
      - R2D2: 192.168.110.9 (Kanotix 06.10, Laptop)
      - FAKE: 192.168.110.3 (Windoze 2000, Virtual Machine)

- Gateway: 192.168.110.101
      - External DNS: 195.186.4.108
      - Local Domain: ARLEKIN.CH

In addition, I will refer to KDE's own control center, to be accessed from a console ("doing as root does", of course) by sudo kcontrol. There, the Network Settings are the place to go (what a surprise ...).

For starters, select the Interface in question (e.g. eth0) and hit the Configure Interface button. There, change to manual and enter the machine's local IP address (e.g. 192.168.110.7), accept the default netmask and make sure that Activate at start is checked / marked. Then sign everything of.

Next step (same machine): change to Routes (read: gateway) ... in my case, where there is a separate router granting "direct" access to the internet for all three machines, the default gateway's address reads 192.168.110.101 (which is the router's IP), set for eth0 ... in your case and for your first machine (read: the one with direct access to the internet), there is nothing to be entered here, because this machine will itself act as a router of sorts.

O.k., what about the Domain Name System then? That is where I would recommend to add your machine's name as host name (e.g. C3PO) - although not strictly necessary, from my experience, naming them eases things up. However, what you will need is at least one Domain Name Server (short: DNS) entry, to be added by hitting the Add button (yet another suprise ...). In addition, you could (for the same reason mentioned above) your machine's names and local IP addresses to the list of Static Hosts, where "alias" means "host name" means "machine name" (and this time I will not comment on the Add button ...).

Last, but not least, the Network Profiles are irrelevant (for you, for now). - Still around? O.k., then let us have a look at machino numero due:

As you might have figured out by now, it is going to be the same stuff again, but - of course - with different values to be entered (e.g. R2D2 & 192.168.110.9) ... But this time, the Route(r) (aka gateway) has to be defined: in your case, the first machine's local IP address is what has to go here (in my case, it is the external router's local address again).

Et finis (hopefully, at least): now you should be able to connect one machine from the other as well as the internet from both machines. - Please let me know if this works as I expect it to ... then we may proceed to a first lesson of Samba (for what - from my point of view - the official guides are way too good, at least for a beginner).

Addenum: with Samba coming, it might be a good idea to add a domain name as well (to be refered to as "workgroup" from the Windoze side of life later on).

HTH
      Birdy

Comment

hdh Thanks for your instructions. I think you put me on the right track, however, I ran into a glitch. When trying to access the network with Network Services (I hope that this is the right place to do this) on the second computer I get a message saying that; zeroconf daemon (mdns) is not running.
        Also, from either Network Services window I can't see any files or computers at all.

Thanks for your expertise
        Chris

Comment

Don't panic - we are not that far already; what should work, is the internet connection for both machines as well as that both machines are aware of each other. Enabling file sharing is the next step to be taken - once your local network is up and running ... which you may check by mutually (!) "pinging" them, hopefully receiving answers similar to the following:

Code:
          USER@C3PO # ping R2D2
          PING R2D2.ARLEKIN.CH (192.168.110.9) 56(84) bytes of data.
          64 bytes from R2D2.ARLEKIN.CH (192.168.110.9): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.153 ms
          If this works, time is ripe for an adventure called Samba

Birdy

Comment

Birdy I am glad to report the ping went great. On the other hand The sharing in Kcontrol (used the sudo command from Konsole to enter) is greyed out. I can see that it is set at simple sharing but I think it is a bad sign about it being greyed out. Of course, I still get the message on that box about the daemon as previously mentioned. It seems like my problem is there. What is your opinion? Also, the internet isn't working for that box I will go back and recheck the gateway setting but it isn't able to connect. Thanks for your help thus far, it is greatly appreciated.
            Chris

Comment

Sorry for being boring - but if your second machine is able to "ping" the first one, it is supposed to be able to reach the internet through this machine (which is to be set as "gateway" for the other one) ... if, however, you do not get to this point, please post the output from the console command [sudo] ifconfig eth0 from both machines (as well as an info about which one host the "real" internet access).

As for the "greyed out" things and the "complaining daemons": file sharing is not set up by default (at least that is what I have experienced so far) - but I would prefer to sort things out one after the other

Birdy

Comment

Working...
              X