This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linksys WPC54G v1.2 doesn't work if in during boot

Well I've searched and didn't find anything that I found related so I figured I'd post about it.

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 8100 with kubuntu Dapper
    The wireless card is a linksys wpc54g v1.2 incase you didn't get that from the title. ^.^

Anyway, it did something similar when I was running windows(It would bluescreen before it finished booting) but I thought it might be something to do with the operating system so I figured I'd post anyway. When it's left in while it's booting and I open wireless-assistant it finds the card but no networks, but when I take it out before I boot and put it in after I log in it works fine and can see all the networks(There are three near-by).

So my questions are:

1.) is anyone else experiencing these problems(unlikely but possible)?
    2.) and are there any solutions if there are others having this problem?

Thanks in advance and hope you can help. ^.^

Re: Linksys WPC54G v1.2 doesn't work if in during boot

Well since nobody's going to help me why doesn't an admin just delete this post? Kinda annoying when there's no help.

Anyway, an update:

I've updated to Edgy now so I'm not going to be posting in this thread anymore and as for the connection it still doesn't work and now doesn't work even if it's not in during boot. Also, the ethernet port on my computer isn't working anymore either so I can't access the internet at all.

Comment

Check out this other thread. It takes a bit of extra work to install, but it should work:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=11191.0

Comment

Originally posted by lingenfr
        Check out this other thread. It takes a bit of extra work to install, but it should work:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=11191.0
        Thanks a lot ^.^

I'm not exactly sure what you're refering to when you say "It takes a bit of extra work to install..." but I think I got my card working after installing a later version of ndiswrapper-utils/common and blacklisting some stuff(I know, I sound like a noob. lol). Anyway, it sees the networks now and even recognizes my brothers card now(It used to not even see that one) but I haven't been able to connect to any networks yet. Mine is WEP incrypted(128) and always gave me trouble and one of the networks near-by (The one I'm using now with my brothers [old] IBM laptop)isn't incrypted but I also have trouble connecting to it with either of the cards.

The thread I was talking about was in the ubuntu forums so I probably wouldn't have found it myself. It's here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=285809

Also, since I couldn't access the network at all I ended up using a ZIP drive to transfer the files and then used the command
        sudo dpkg -i [directory of .deb file]/ndiswrapper-utils-1.8_1.18-1ubuntu2_i386.deb [directory of .deb file]/ndiswrapper-common_1.18-1ubuntu2_all.deb
        (or whatever the names of the .debs are)to install them.

Thanks again and have a nice day. ^.^

Comment

Working...
        X