X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Difficulty accessing Windows partitions

Does smb:/ work?.

It's quite strange. If smbtree shows the names of your machines, it means that samba knows them.

Seens like samba is trying to resolve the names using something that timeouts (bet: dns) instead of using nmbd (the windows name system for workgroups).

Here is a bad solution that will probably work:
    - Add the names and ips of each machine to the /etc/hosts files.

It will work, but force you to using static address

A better solution could be to install the samba package. It will let you share linux folders and also install a nmbd server. I hope that having a nmbd server will resolve the issue.

Javier.

Comment

Originally posted by javierrivera
      Does smb:/ work?.
      No, it always changes it to smb://

Here is a bad solution that will probably work:
      - Add the names and ips of each machine to the /etc/hosts files.
      I'll try it, just to satisfy my curiosity

A better solution could be to install the samba package. It will let you share linux folders and also install a nmbd server. I hope that having a nmbd server will resolve the issue.
      I'll try that too when I can find some time 

Thanks again

Comment

That smb behaviour is very strange.

The correct syntax is smb:/ for browsing all the LAN. Maybe konqueror is completing it from some other url?.

Anyway good luck, and post here your results if you have time .

Javier.

Comment

Before messing about any more I was thinking of taking an image and then un/reinstalling both VMPlayer and the Kubuntu 6.06 VM.

Any thoughts on that?

Comment

Just take a image of the kubuntu installation. You only need to backup the *.vmdk files.

No need to backup the full windows install (we are not playing with it , nor reinstalling VMPlayer (as it seens to be working correctly).

Javier.

Comment

Hi Javier

Set all my adapters to fixed IPs with identical primary and secondary DNS servers, reloaded the Kubuntu VM in its original state, and before making any other changes at all I tested Samba.  It now works as it should, so it seems as if either something I did post install last time upset it, or it didn't like the fact that not all my NICs were using the same DNS servers.  (The previous VM still exhibited the same timeout errors after the adapters had been reconfigured and everything rebooted).

Anyway I learnt a great deal from all that, and it's now working so thank you very much

Bernard

EDIT - It's still showing smb:// in Konqueror when browsing the LAN BTW

Comment

Working...
              X