Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installed ATI card, now wireless card isn't recognized...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installed ATI card, now wireless card isn't recognized...

I followed the instruction posted in the Ubuntu forums to get my ATI Radeon graphics card working, and reconfigured xorg.conf, which worked pretty magically. The thing about it is that I couldn't get Ubuntu to read my PCI card instead of my on-board intel graphics. Reconfiguring it worked.

But then the wireless card stopped working. For some reason, it's simply not recognized. I tried swapping their position in the PCI slots, reconfigured xorg.conf to reflect the graphics card's new position, and rebooted. Graphics card works, wireless card doesn't.

I hit up Wireless Assistant, which tells me the card doesn't exist. Now, it's been working right up until I tried installing the graphics card, mind you.

How can I re-install, or get Ubuntu to re-recognize, this card? It's a Belkin wireless card.

Oh, but wait, it gets better...!

So I completely removed the graphics card and repartitioned the hdd, reinstalled Kubuntu, and the wlan card (Belkin) *still* doesn't work. Did I brick my wireless card somehow?

How do I recover wireless?

The machine is a Dell Dimension (with no AGP slot, believe it or not - hence the PCI graphics card). I have plenty of RAM in it, and the only PCI cards are the Belkin VD7000 card and the ATI Radeon 9250. Please help!!!

Comment

Re: Installed ATI card, now wireless card isn't recognized...

This may seem like a really stupid question...but were you using the ndiswrapper?? If so..you may have to go through that tedious operation again. Hook your computer directly to your router or modem to get the internet connected and sudo the ndiswrapper and find the instructions on installing it. (here is a link http://www.tuxmagazine.com/node/1000167 for you to check out) Now..another stupid question..did you put the swap the two pci devices?? My thinking is that your one pci slot is fried. Who knows...anyway..good luck.

Comment

Re: Installed ATI card, now wireless card isn't recognized...

Originally posted by jeffster1970
        This may seem like a really stupid question...but were you using the ndiswrapper?? If so..you may have to go through that tedious operation again. Hook your computer directly to your router or modem to get the internet connected and sudo the ndiswrapper and find the instructions on installing it. (here is a link http://www.tuxmagazine.com/node/1000167 for you to check out) Now..another stupid question..did you put the swap the two pci devices?? My thinking is that your one pci slot is fried. Who knows...anyway..good luck.
        Not using ndiswrapper - supposedly the Belkin card works out of the box, sans ndiswrapper. Also, I did swap the two devices, and the graphics card works regardless of which PCI slot its in, but the wireless card doesn't work at all. I've even tried just flat out removing the graphics card, but the wireless card still doesn't work. I *even* tried reinstalling Kubuntu with just the wireless card installed, and nothing. No love.

I really need help with this - I'm not a Linux guy, although thanks to my experience with Apple I can get around in a Unix environment. Still, I'm all spoiled with things 'just working' all the time, so I haven't the foggiest as to what I need to do to correct all this!

Comment

Working...
        X