This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu no longer shows Wlan0 in Network Settings

I changed from Ubuntu to Kubuntu on a clean install. Kubuntu originally recognised the Wireless card in Network Settings (although I hadn't got it working! - I was going to use the same methodology as had got it working under Ubuntu) however I can now only see eth0.

The following happens using ifup

mad@mad-desktop:~$ sudo ifup wlan0
    Error for wireless request "Set ESSID" (8B1A) :
    SET failed on device wlan0 ; No such device.
    Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.3
    Copyright 2004-2005 Internet Systems Consortium.
    All rights reserved.
    For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP

SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
    wlan0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
    wlan0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
    Bind socket to interface: No such device
    Failed to bring up wlan0.

Yet the following extract from running lshw shows the card is at least recognised to some extent!

*-network:0 UNCLAIMED
    description: Network controller
    product: ACX 111 54Mbps Wireless Interface
    vendor: Texas Instruments
    physical id: 4
    bus info: pci@02:04.0
    version: 00
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: cap_list
    resources: iomemory:fb028000-fb029fff iomemory:fb000000-fb01ffff irq:169

Any suggestions to help me out would be appreciated.

Thanks (and treat me gently - I'm one of those ignorant newbies trying to ditch Bill)

Re: Kubuntu no longer shows Wlan0 in Network Settings

What machine is this on (desktop/laptop/whatever)

What does 'ifconfig' report? Copy and paste this into a Konsole: ifconfig > ifconfig.txt

There is much info on the net regarding this chipset. I have a feeling you might have been bitten by an updated kernel.

Let's start with this though. Please attach the file ifconfig.txt on your next post. You can delete it after it's sent to the forum.

Thanks.

--<br />wishing you well

Comment

Did Kubuntu upgrade the kernel from 2.6.15-26 to 2.6.15-27? Mine did it automatically, and stopped recognizing the wireless card as hardware in the newer version. Thankfully, I can still boot into the old one through GRUB, and it still works in that version.

M.

Comment

yeah. It wiped out my friends machine since she uses vmware. on my machines, everything worked fine as it was, but it replaced my SMP kernel with the i386 (bad). kernel awareness is something the ubuntu team should really take the time to address!

regards
        --<br />wishing you well

Comment

I applied the SMP image for my core duo, and the kernel stopped recognizing the card as hardware, so I had to revert to the 386 kernel.

M.

Comment

bug report sent. Hope this helps those of you that have been bitten by this latest kernel.

Bug # 64085
            regards
            --<br />wishing you well

Comment

Yes, the reason Kubuntu stopped recognising my card was due to the upgrade in the kernel from 2.6.15-26 to 2.6.15-27.

For the time being I'm booting with the 2.6.15-26 kernel. However the WLAN doesn't automatically connect, I have to open Wireless Assistant every time I boot up and manually launch the WLAN. Any suggestions how I can get this to load automatically when the machine boots up?

Another qwerk I've found with Kubuntu that didn't happen in Ubuntu is that the WEP key has to be entered as 12-34-fd-56-23-vc..... using '-' after every pair of characters, whereas in Ubuntu all I needed to do was enter the characters as a string without the hyphens, strange!

Comment

I was facing the same issue with Wireless Assistant too. Download KNetworkManager, and use that instead. Do not manually quit it before you log off/shutdown, and it will start up and automatically connect when you log in next time.

M.

Comment

strangest thing happened tonight, wireless network wouldn't connect for love nor money, so I amended the WEP hexadecimal key by taking out all the hyphens (i mentioned in previous post) and hey presto, connected first time!! Why??

Comment

Hmmmm, downloaded the KNetworkmanager as suggestedon earlier post, however on onstall it gets as far as 28% and then the beggar stops!! Haven't found a way of resolving this one, any suggestions?

Comment

open the window and read what is holding it up.

Otherwise, try to open a konsole, become root (sudo bash) and run
                      'apt-get install -force' and see if that gets the job done for ya.

good luck.
                      --<br />wishing you well

Comment

Originally posted by a_hippie
                        open the window and read what is holding it  up.
                        I'm now demonstrating my ignorance - how do I open what window??

Thanks

Comment

I believe he is talking about the install window in adept. There should be a show details button next to the progress bar, which sometimes contains text and questions regarding installation (i.e., "are you sure you want to do this", etc.). I believe KNetworkManager will ask whether you want it to control your network config, or some similar question.

M.

Comment

Originally posted by mmaheshwary
                            I applied the SMP image for my core duo, and the kernel stopped recognizing the card as hardware, so I had to revert to the 386 kernel.

M.
                            Does anyone know if this problem has been solved in Edgy Eft?

M.

Comment

I decided to take the dive, and upgraded....

Everything works now!

M.

Comment

Working...
                              X