X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I need help with my Wireless conection

Originally posted by g_rus
    I have a new laptop Compaq Presario v2617la (la means Latin American, the keyboard is in spanish, nothing more) with AMD Semprom 3000, 512 ram with wireless card Broadcom (4318) 802.11b/g. And Kubuntu Dapper drake -with updates-

I solved the first problem, activte the wirelss card, because Kubutu detected and configure it, but not activate. Now, always at turn on the computer, the light of wireless is on, with the program Wireless Assistant is possible see the networks from hotspots or university, but when i try to conect it, take some seconds and i get "Conecction Failed" and never connect it. I don't know what to do, but I think is a very small step that I need to have my wireless concetion. I have configure it as "DHCP", and my wirelees conecction is eth1
    Hi g_rus,
    I think you are on the right track about DHCP. Look for my posts where I got mind working using ndiswrapper for broadcom pci card using a bash script with wireless tools commands.
    I couldn't get the GUI interfaces to work. I then put an icon on my desktop to run the script when I want to connect to my network.

If you can't find my posts let me know and I'll point you to them.
    Jim

Comment

hello, YumaJim pleas let me know that post. (by a messenge or post here) thanks a lot.

Comment

Install KNETWORKMANAGER using adept, you may need to enable other repositories...... check out the forum for how do this.
        Disable any wired network connections, i.e. built in ethernet 10/100/1000 card.
        Make sure the AP works with DHCP, set your wirless card to DHCP.
        Fire up KNetworkManager and away you go.
        I have used this on three different Toshiba laptops without any problems, I can always connect.

Hope this helps..............
        "Computers can figure out all kinds of problems, except the things in the world that just don't add up."  James Magary

Comment

Thanks, but still don't work

I'm not sure aboy ndiswrapper, because as I understang, ndiswrapper install windows driver for recognize the network card, but, if my kubuntu dapper recognize it, why I need to install ndiswrapper. I'm not sure.

I was trying with Knetwrokmanager, but is the same, as I see, knetworkmanager, like wireless asistant chek the networks around, but don't connect it. I think this programs are GUI's from other, perhaps "scan", i don't know, but still no luck. Thanks anyway. I waiting for the solution yet.

Comment

Please verify that when you try knetworkmanager, you edited out all interface references in your /etc/network/interfaces file. If you didn't do that, knetworkmanager won't work.

Comment

Well, O have the new Kubuntu Edgy, I try the liveCD but i see the same that other, Wireles Network Card is detected but not activated, I must do all agai to activate, that is no a big problem, but i'm not sure if will e work.

Comment

Hi, just for the record. I had exactly the same problem. Wireless assistant or Kwifimanager detected available networks but could not connect.. As suggested I tried Knetworkmanager (without editing interface file) and it worked immediatelly. I do not know what makes the difference between these programs but thanks a lot for your help!!!

Comment

Originally posted by g_rus
                  Thanks, but still don't work

I'm not sure aboy ndiswrapper, because as I understang, ndiswrapper install windows driver for recognize the network card, but, if my kubuntu dapper recognize it, why I need to install ndiswrapper. I'm not sure.
                  Just like Windows is able to recognize (sometimes generically, sometime specifically) a hardware device, that doesn't mean that Windows INCLUDES the driver. Same with Linux. That was the situation with my last two Linksys installs, one USB, one PCI.

Comment

Working...
                  X