This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows Sharing Help Please

I have samba installed and can see all the windows shares from kubuntu but the windows computer network can not see my kubuntu machine. When I go to system settings-sharing-file sharing and click administrator it asks for my root password but all the options are greyed out. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? Would it be easier to edit my samba.conf file? I don't remember where that file is. Thanks

Re: Windows Sharing Help Please

I realize you are using samba and not nfs, but open the adept package manager, search on nfs, and see if you have nfs-common and nfs-user-server installed.  Until I installed these I had the same problem accessing the file sharing options.

IF you have nfs-kernel-server installed instead of nfs-user-server that should be ok as well, but make sure nfs-common is installed too.

Comment

Re: Windows Sharing Help Please

i'm having a similar problem, in that the windows machines on my home network can't see my shared folders, but i can see the windows machines from my linux box. unlike maj, my samba stuff isn't greyed out. i've enabled simple file sharing, and added the folders i want to share to the shared list. i remember having a similar problem with dapper and eventually finding it was some security box somewhere i had to uncheck or check. i can't remember where it was though

edit: remembered that i thanked someone else in another post for posting the solution, and i found that post again just now. it was run kcontrol> internet and network> samba > admin mode > allow 'share' security level.

Comment

Working...
      X