Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok people i got my wireless figured out!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok people i got my wireless figured out!

I have a HP zv6007, and been going through hell to get wireless working the way i like it.... but anywho this is how i did it....

Ok after a clean install of Kubuntu, the first thing to do is to stop the bad driver module that is supposed to be for my card from running

sudo modprobe -r bcm43xx

Then i blacklisted the sucker so it will no longer start, I did this by adding it to the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

I then went into my package manager, and installed ndiswrapper and knetworkmanager

Then i went into my System Settings/NetworkSettings and got rid of the settings i had changed to get my static ethernet connection going to use the package manager, and you must set your connection to dhcp (if you plan on using knetworkmanager)

This next step is the key to getting the Knetworkmanager to work!!!!!
    open up /etc/network/interfaces
    you want to delete all of the entrys that kubuntu's settings added, so that all you have left is :

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    address 127.0.0.1
    netmask 255.0.0.0

After this step you must not enter any values into kubuntu's network settings, it must all be handled by knetwork manager! So that means you have to use dhcp with it for knetwork manager to work! If you must use static settings you are stuck with the wireless assistant (which will work but you will have no ability to connect to WPA only WEP and unsecured) so if you don't need to use knetworkmanager and prefer to use wireless assistant you do not need to edit the 'interfaces' file

Next i restarted kubuntu, to make sure the old bcm43xx module didn't load... all looked good, so i moved on to ndiswrapper

first open up a terminal, then you want to move to the directory where you have the windows drivers for your wireless card, after you are there you want to install them so...

sudo ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf

that should install them, then check that it installed right :

sudo ndiswrapper -l

and it should list your driver, and say hardware is present. if it does then:

sudo modprobe ndiswrapper

that should load your driver, and if you open up SystemSettings/NetworkSettings it should now show your wireless card!

So now you just need to fire up knetworkmanager, it should pick up your access point now.... Now we just have to make ndiswrapper load at startup
    by going to /etc/init.d/rc and adding to the botton:

echo "start wireless"
    modprobe ndiswrapper

Then reboot, and your networking should be setup

Re: Ok people i got my wireless figured out!

Hey,

This thing worked great! I have tried so many times to get it to work. However, when I reboot, every so often, it goes back to what it initially did. It will begin to connect and get to 28%, then time out and never connect. Others are having the same issues so I am not alone. You seemed knowledgeable on this so I thought you might know.

Comment

Working...
    X