This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless card for notebook not working

Hi, I've just installed Kubuntu 6.06 on my laptop. Everything is going great, besides one thing, my wireless card is not working. It works fine on windows, but KDE wont reconize it. The type of card is a: Linksys Wireless - B Notebook adapter WPC11 v.4.

Any help would be appretiated, and thanks in advance.

Re: Wireless card for notebook not working

There is a link to the Debian instructions for getting this card working with ndiswrapper on the Kubuntu Wiki. I quote from that page "The Linksys WPC11 ver 4 is a confirmed success." So the link can't be as out of date as the author fears.

Comment

i just installed Edgy and can't get this same card working either. i keep seeing the apt command to get the necessary packages...how can i get anything off of the net when my wireless card isn't working?

does anyone know where to get ndiswrapper-utils-1.8 from a site? i have searched sourceforge, google, etc. on one of the Ubuntu forums, it detials how to get a card going, but you have to have at least ndiswrapper-utils-1.8; they list a site to get it, if not connected to the internet, but the zipped file doesn't contain the necessary package -- ndiswrapper-utils-*.deb.

also, when i run sudo ndiswrapper i get an error message about command not found; how can i tell if ndiswrapper is installed? i ran the get/remove app package and it wasn't there; did a search using the same package and it wasn't there either (i have Edgy installed on my laptop, not a live CD).

appreciate any assistance, thanks

Comment

You're facing the standard Linux "Catch 22". You can't access the network until you download the software you need from the network. However, the fact that you can post on this site implies that you can access the network somehow, so all is not lost. It's just A LOT MORE DIFFICULT than it should be. Go to https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...er/Ndiswrapper using whatever method you have for getting on line. Then follow the appropriate instructions, there.

Comment

Working...
        X