This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing Kubuntu 6.06 partition on a WinXP network - resolved

I have looked in the kubuntu & Ubuntu forums as well as googled and am unable to find out how to share my windows partition (fat32) (on my Kubuntu 6.06 PC) to my Windows network so that nobody accessing this partition from any windows boxes has to sign in etc (the drive is a temporary location for all of the machiine to access)- and have full read write permissions on this partition. I can find snipets of information all over the place about how to configure the setup so that windows users must be set up as authorized users on the linux box with permissions etc but I can not find how to set it up - so that the partition is wide open.

Problem 1) When I search for the Kubuntu box on any of the windows machines - the Kubuntu PC shows up in a workgroup called "Workgroup" and the all the windows PC's show up under the another workgroup called "Last Name network " . Meanwhile when I try and go through konqueror to browse the network it also shows 2 netwiorks under samba " Last Name network " and "workgroup".
    I have configured the Network interface through System Settings --> Internet & Network --> Network settings --> Domain name System tab --> Host name (Kubuntu) --> Domain name (Last Name network) I have also gone through Zeroconf Service Discovery and added "Last Name network" to the domains under local network. - How do I configure the Kubuntu machine so that it shows up under the "Last Name network" in both windows and Kubuntu?

Problem 2) When I do click on the Kubuntu PC on any 1 of the windows machines I am prompted for a user and password. - I want the partition to be wide open with read write authority to any user.
    I have gone through System Settings --> Internet & Network --> sharing -->added the windows partition to the list of shared and ensured that the permissions are set to read & write, allow unspecified users. I have ensured that the partition is mounted upon boot(/media/Windows D) _ what am I missing here??

BTW Each machine is set up with a static IP, behind a router. A windows firewall is configured to allow traffic only from each of the Static addresses. This all worked in breazy but not in dapper.....

any help is welcome

Re: Sharing on a Kubuntu 6.06 & a windows network

Finally: solved my problem found this link
    http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Dapper#H...cation.3DNo.29

Comment

Re: Sharing on a Kubuntu 6.06 & a windows network

Originally posted by dsquared
      Finally: solved my problem found this link
      http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Dapper#H...cation.3DNo.29
      I tried this and it allows me to connect to my Win vfat partition but not to write to it.

Comment

Working...
      X