X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 NEtwork cards, 1 DSL Ethernet Modem and LOTS of problems

Greetings People !
    This is my first message here and i'm kinda sad because up to now i've always managed to solve my problems all by myself (and deja... lol) but i got a big big problem that i cannot solve now.. and i need some helps
    I have 2 network cards, one is plugged into my lan switch (Ip 192.168.0.1.. classic.. ) and one is plugged into my ethernet dsl modem (card ip 10.10.10.1 modem ip 10.10.10.138)

All works fine under windows, and other live linux distro (i've tried Knoppix 3.4 and the last ELive) but with this new ubuntu i have a strange problem:

the computer stops to ping the modem after 10-15 seconds and after that the only way to ping it again is to shut down the modem and restart it but even doing so.. when the modem is linked again it does the same.. it's reachable for 10-15 seconds and then.... goodbye modem... aurevoire... no life signs from the device...

Can any of you help me out

Thanx In Advance

Re: 2 NEtwork cards, 1 DSL Ethernet Modem and LOTS of problems

Hi,

When it's getting out of access, if you do :
    sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

Is it working again for a while ?
    If yes, I have the same problem as you on my laptop... But didn't find solution yet...
    Keep me informed if you find, I will do the same

Good luck

Comment

Hello Sky
      in my case even if i restart the network layer the modem wont start again to ping. It's totally dead until i reboot it.
      I'm sure that it isn't a modem problem because i've tried it with other live distros and i've always managed to brink up the connection and the modem never stop to ping.
      I was thinking at some special NIC configuration nut i'm not really expert with networking and i don't know how to exactly check ALL parameters in the working distros and eventually how to replicate them in kubuntu.
      But (for example) in the Knoppix distro that i've tried there are no special settings on the NIC configuration file... so maybe some kernel level settings...
      Dunno where to bang my head

Comment

The only thing I know is that it's really annoying problem... I'm able to be connected for a while (unknown) and suddenly be disconnect, then I need to restart dhcp on server (ip phone) and then restart layer, it will work again for a while and stop working...
        It was working great with previous kernel, it's just from this one that I have this trouble. I will try to get a previous to see if it's kernel trouble or another package...

Good luck

Comment

Hi sky
          i'm quite sure that it's a kermel problem because i've tried the new knoppix 5 (wich has a kernel 2.6.5) and it did the same problem. Then rebooted with knoppix 3.4 (2.4.x kernel) and it worked again.
          Now i'm trying to compile a 2.4 kernel and i'll see if it will work...

Crossing my fingers

Comment

Working...
          X