This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wired Connection Works with Fedora But Not Kubuntu

Setup: Comcast cable modem to a Linksys wired router.

Behavior: Connection works fine as a XP Box and when I installed Fedora 5.  When I install Kubuntu Dapper Drake, the connection works for under a minute. When I unplug the ethernet cable, the connection is restored for another minute, then it drops. My XP box connected to the same router has always worked.

I've gone through all the forum topics on trouble shooting network problems and I made all the suggested changes. Nothing worked.

Can I assume that Kubuntu doesn't yet support my cable/router hardware?

Re: Wired Connection Works with Fedora But Not Kubuntu

Jada,

I had a similar experience when I installed Dapper - I think it might have to do with the NIC or the driver. I thought it was because I upgraded over the Internet and just got a corrupted file. I hope that is what it was. I downloaded the CD to try installing from scratch and see if there is a difference, but I just burned the CD.

What NIC chipset do you have? Running 'lspci' will tell you in the Ethernet controller line.
    Mine says:
    Davicom Semiconductor, Inc. 21x4x DEC-Tulip compatible 10/100 Ethernet (rev 31)

This symptom was posted as a bug on launchpad by someone, but I don't know where it went...

ricnmar

Comment

Thanks ricnmar, I did have a Davicom Semiconductor NIC chipset. Purchased a new NIC over the weekend and I'm longer having a problem with my internet connection and I am to run Kubuntu as my Linux desktop

Comment

jada,

Here is the fix for the Davicom / tulip network card trouble. Just in case you want to use that older NIC one day... I have taken this from a posting on the Ubuntu forums, but I was able to get this working for Kubuntu as well with these instructions, using nano or kate instead of gedit.

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=186430

First, you need to add dmfe to /etc/modules. To do this you need to open up modules with gedit by typing the following code into a terminal.

Code:

sudo gedit /etc/modules

Then, you need to add "dmfe" to this, without the quotes. Make sure you save.

Finally, you need to blacklist the tulip driver so it wont run at startup. To do this you need to run the following in a terminal.

Code:

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

After this is opened, you need to add "blacklist tulip", without the quotations, somewhere in the file. Then save.

After both of these steps have been completed, restart your system, and voila, you now magically have a working ethernet adapter.

Comment

Working...
        X