This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intermittent hardware discovery

(I posted this in Breezy by accident (http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=5505.0), if there's a mod watching, feel free to delete the Breezy version)

I'm running dapper on a Toshiba Portege 4000 with built in wifi.  Wifi was discovered, configured automatically as eth1 and working like a charm on first install.  Then I apt-get upgraded a few days later and the hardware disappeared until I rebooted a couple of times and it magically reappeared.  Then it stayed there until I next upgraded, disappeared for a couple of reboots then reappeared again and so on and so on.  Until last Friday when my hardware disappeared and just won't come back.

The interface shows up in

cat /etc/network/interfaces

as

iface eth1 inet dhcp

but ifup eth1 produces a lot of blurb telling me the interface does not exist. ("no such device")

NIC is a Cisco Aironet MPI350 MiniPCI 802.11b wireless card, which, according to various sources, runs perfectly with an orinoco driver.  However, I don't think it's the driver that's the problem.

dmesg produces a line which reads:

airo: Couldn't register_netdev

Any clues?

Re: Intermittent hardware discovery

Well, my nic just decided to reappear again. I changed absolutely nothing on the computer, just logged off, closed down then restarted.

?

Comment

Hi,

I've seen such a behaviour on my toshiba with built in wifi on dapper also...
      In fact, it's coming from the fact, dapper is trying to load interfaces but recognize your card not like eth1 anymore but eth2 for example...
      I think you should try to fix it by modifying the file /etc/iftab
      Code:
      sudo vi /etc/iftab
      enter a line like this :
      eth1 mac <mac_address_of_your_eth1>

Then you shouldn't have troubles anymore...

Cheers

Comment

Well, it works for the moment so I'm reluctant to change anything. I might add that when I scan for networks with kwifimanager I get the message 'The scan is complete, but no networkds have been found', even thought I am connected. Under Breezy it used to come back with several networks.

Do you happen to know if this is a bug and anyone is working on it? If so, I will wait to see if it gets fixed, if not, I'll post as a bug.

Comment

Working...
        X