X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WiFi and WEP

Hi folks,

I just installed Dapper and everything is working fine. Well, almost. I'm using the new Wireless Assistant to connect to a network. While I can connect to an unsecured network, I can't get a connection to my WEP enabled system. I'm not a network wiz and new to Linux as well, but I think the problem is, that I can't tell the system to use the index key (3 in my case). Has anybody an idea?

Thanks,
    -Orevin-

Re: WiFi and WEP

I have WEP on my wireless setup.

Given that you can connect to an unsecured network I assume your card is detected properly.

In that case, using the wireless assistant I simply run through the wizard and type in the code at the appropriate point. One thing though, if you have a 26 digit hex key (for 128 bit WEP) do not do as I at first did which was to put full stops in between each pair of characters. Type a continuous string and the system ought to be able to tell the type.

You might also want to run KWifi Manager for a visible signal of when the wireless assistant connects you.

Unless I'm off the mark...

Ian

Comment

make sure you are using the correct authentication method("open" vs "shared")

when i was first setting up wireless i forgot to specify this in my "/etc/network/interfaces" file and it took me so damn long to figure out that that's what was missing. i had to add the following line to my interfaces file.

wireless-keymode open

i haven't ever used the Wireless Assistant though (and i'm on windows right now) so maybe it already asks for this piece of info.

Comment

If you're using key 3 then it is important

change your wireless-key entry in the interfaces file to this.

wireless-key3 xxxxxx
        wireless-defaultkey 3

Comment

Working...
        X