X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atheros Wi-fi issues (solved)

Ok, several issues here.

First of all, I should say that this is a clean install of Dapper, after formatting a previous, functional install of Breezy. (I had done some damage to it, and decided that it would be easier to start over with Dapper)

Now, I have a Cisco Atheros based Mini-PCI Wi-fi card that worked great under Ubuntu Hoary, which I altered to Kubuntu Hoary, which I upgraded to Kubuntu Breezy. The Wi-fi was fully functional under all those Distros.

Now that I have formatted and installed Dapper, I can't Wi-Fi working. The card is functional and active in Network Manager. My /etc/network/interfaces shows the proper setup for ath0

-------

auto ath0
    iface ath0 inet static
    address 10.50.2.7
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 10.50.2.1
    wireless-essid <Mywirelessessid>
    wireless-key s:<mywirelessencryptionkey>

----------

(I edited out the essid and key here)

My etc/network/resolve.conf shows the proper IPs of my two name servers.

These are the EXACT SAME settings that I was using before I formatted.

Yet I am completely unable to route.

My wireless base station even shows the MAC of ath0 as a connected client!

In addition, when I boot up and get to the desktop, while the wi-fi manager is running, it is NOT automatically linking to the base station. It just keeps hunting and hunting until I MANUALLY go into Config Editor and activate Config 1.

Again, this did NOT happen with Hoary or Breezy. Under those, KWi-Fi manager would automatically start, Fire up Config 1, and Link to the base station. I was also able to route properly.

Incidentally, This laptop is ALSO a dual-boot with Windows, and the same card works just fine in Windows. So I know it's not a hardware issue.

So... What am I missing here?

Re: Atheros Wi-fi issues

Ok,

I mostly solved my issue.

I was reading through some of the other threads here, and decided to install Wifi radar.

Well, initially that didn't work, it wouldn't even start the program!

I noticed that it was using a gksudo command to attempt to run it, so I checked for gksudo commands and came aross the Ubuntu buglist which said that gksudo command run programs wouldn't work in dapper due to gksu not being installed by default. So, I installed gksu.

Bingo! wifi radar started up, I setup a profile with the essid and WEP key, and BAM! I was online. I edited the shortcut to send it to the systray, since it doesn't do that by default.
    I also found that I had to right-click the icon in the systray and select "hide" to minimise to systray.

Now i just have to figure out how to get it to save my password, and auto-start with KDE, and I'll be back in business!

Comment

Re: Atheros Wi-fi issues

Are you using WEP or WPA? If its WPA is it AES or TKIP?

Bill

Comment

Working...
      X