This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no admin mode button for samba

When I click the Sharing icon in my system settings page then click File Sharing, the "Enable Local Network File Sharing" is checked and grayed out, as is the entire section. The next section, "Shared Folders," is not gray and contains:

/home/myname/
    /tmp/
    /var/lib/samba/printers/

The last two items above were already there, apparently setup during installation. The first item above I added manually to the smb.conf file.

I know Samba works because I can get to myname directory from my windows box with no problem.

My problem: there is no Administrator button on the File Sharing page, so I can't make changes in this gui. All my changes have to be done manually. While this works, it does away with the need for the gui.

What gives? Why no Administrator button?

tia,

r.

Re: no admin mode button for samba

Maybe the button gets out of screen and there is no scroll bar. Try to hide the taskbar and you will see. You can also edit the samba.conf file...

Comment

As a workaround you can also launch kcontrol in Admin Mode with:
      Code:
      kdesu kcontrol
      or samba configuration module directly with:
      Code:
      kdesu kcmshell kcmsambaconf

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

On the tab pages of other system settings, I have to scroll down a bit to see the Admin button, but on the Samba tab page, the Admin button simply isn't there.

I tried the two workarounds provided by the other poster and they'll do just fine. Still, I'd like to find out why my installation isn't working properly.

Thanks.

r.

Comment

Originally posted by rattler
          I tried the two workarounds provided by the other poster and they'll do just fine. Still, I'd like to find out why my installation isn't working properly.
          You could try upgrading KDE to 3.5.x if you haven't already done so...to see if it is fixed (which it most likely is)

Instructions on upgrade if you need them:http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=817.0

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, but my ABOUT KDE page says I'm running 3.5.2.

Comment

There are various bugs that persist for few releases since kubuntu does not get as good support as ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by rattler
                Thanks for the suggestion, but my ABOUT KDE page says I'm running 3.5.2.
                Bugger...In Dapper with 3.5.2 the samba module works as it should (at least for me)...I can't troubleshoot with Breezy as I don't have it installed anymore, maybe someone with Breezy can offer more input.

Most likely scenario is that the admin button is hidden somewhere beyond the scope of the window (this has been the problem on some modules), but that's just an 'non-educated' guess

Comment

I can't reproduce your problem, my KDE 3.5.2 installation is showing an Administrator mode button, just as it has since I upgraded from 3.4.3 to 3.5.1 However, you should be able to right click on the desktop, and run the command kdesu kcontrol to start kcontrol in administrator mode.

Comment

i have experienced that problem in other menus, not only in samba one, so stay tunned.

Comment

This morning I went to screen capture that page and lo and behold, the admin button was there. I wonder if one of the many dapper adept updates fixed the problem. Dunno. All I know is, it wasn't there, and now it is.

Thanks to everyone for the work around solutions. I had already added them to my menu before the admin button reappeared but I think I'll leave them on menu anyway.

Thanks again.

r.

Comment

Would be a good idea to add [Solved] to those topics that are solved...

Comment

Working...
                        X