• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer Aspire Atheros onboard WiFi

Hello all,

I have 4 modules running pertaining to "ath" with the 4th being wlan

However:

as root sudo iwconfig shows lo and eth0, no wireless extensions.

I assume from the above that Dapper has "some native support" compiled into the kernel for Atheros chipsets.

Do I have to remove the madwifi modules present in this distro and upgrade madwifi, or should I attempt to use ndiswrapper.

I read a post by Bernardus that he removed all running modules, then deleted them from the NET and Madwifi, then did an install of madwifi with a depmod -a command and it worked.

Regards
    Will

any pointers welcome

I have not managed to find much when searching for atheros from the forum.

Re: Acer Aspire Atheros onboard WiFi

Ongoing saga:

is this distro possessed??........

Rebooted as root,with no configuration changes made, iwconfig config shows ath0 now, whats up with that?

Spent an hour tweaking ath0 settings with iwconfig, strangely enough got the WiFi manager applet to show a connection with the access point.

I have 2 other systems with the main box hard-wired to the linksys router

"Weird".......iwconfig ath0 off finallt allowed me to connect?........I would of thought it would have to be set to any or the mac address of the router, but with this distro apparently not.

Still no internet though, "Server not found error:......

In WiFi manager when I scan for networks mine comes up in the seperate dialog box, but, the "connect to network" option is greyed out.

any ideas anyone?

By the way, is it just me or is community support on this site very slow in coming, alot of unanswered posts for days on this forum, makes it much more difficult for folks like me to get up and running with Kubuntu if we have to wade through posts and howtos, which is what got me to the point of at least having a "connection" to the router"

Will

Comment

as root

iwconfig

lo - no wireless

etho - no wireless

ath0 -

IEEE 802.1 ESSID: "MYNETWORK"
      MODE: MANAGED
      FREQ: 2.437 GHZ
      ACCESS POINT: XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX "MATCHES THE ADDRESS OF MY ROUTER"
      BITRATE: 11MB/S
      ENCRYPTION KEY:XXXX-XXXX-XX "matches mine, although my input method used the s: prefixing it"

SECURITY MODE:RESTRICTED

WiFI manger shows connected, local ip not availiable
      network scan shows my net, but no option to "connect"

anyone?

Will

Comment

Its almost like talking to your self...............actually it's typing to yourself...............common folks, some help here would be appreciated.This is my second go round with this distro, but I came back because I like it.

w

Comment

Re: Acer Aspire Atheros onboard WiFi (SOLVED)

Thank me..............lol

Comment

Working...
          X