This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

router

I have a router (wired) feeding 2 computers. I would like to get a laptop and have a wireless connection for it.
    Is it possible to get a wireless router(?)( or some wireless gadget) that will plug into my wired router and thereby give me a wireless connection to my laptop?(i.e keep my existing router which is working OK).
    Thanks

Re: router

If you don't have a fancy high-end wired router (that you really want to keep), I'd recommend replacing it with a wireless router (they are quite affordable these days). Wireless access point routers commonly have 4+ wired connection ports for your wired machines, as well.

It's easier to configure and manage a single router than a chain of routers (or 'gadgets')

Comment

thanks Kubicle for your speedy reply
      I guess that I will have to "bite the bullet" and buy a wireless router.
      I had some problems with my first router and since getting my present one have had no problems.
      Any advice as to a reliable wireless router.
      Many thanks

Comment

I've only had wireless routers made by Buffalo, and I have no complaints...I've heard people recommend Zyxel as well. But as I don't have experience with different manufacturers, it's best not to rely on my recommendations alone :P

Comment

My Linksys Wrt54G works flawlessly for my wired and wireless connections. I think they are around $50.

Comment

Thanks to both of you
            This morning I found that I had to wait ages for a web page to load.(any webpage). I called my isp but he said everything was OK at his end
            I have just got to this forum after waiting for over a minute
            Hopefully all is now well!
            Re: routers
            Since I have to buy another and there is a possibilty that it might function as a wireless router but might not as a wired one to my 2 desktops.
            So... is it possible to connect both my old router(i.e leave it connected) and plug the new wireless into the dsl modem. (there appears to be 2 more outlet sockets)
            I realize that I am perhaps worrying unnecessarily. But forewarned is forearmed!
            Thanks

Comment

Buy a good router like one of those mentioned, you won't have any problems. You'll only need to use the one router. As far as your connection speed, with DSL I have found that it is helpful to reboot the modem occasionally when it seems to slow down. Don't know why but it works. In fact I just rebooted mine this morning. Also make sure you have IPV6 turned off. Several threads on how to do this.

Comment

Thanks detonate
                That's what I did this morning; shut off both the dsl modem and the router and then, after waiting a minute or so, reconnected.
                Thanks for the informatin about reliable routers

Comment

Working...
                X